Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,841   Online: 1023

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Richeson 9010 watercolor brush

So in the alt exchange thread, I was told to get this brush which I will, but I did a little research.

What size brush do you you guys use for spreading the senitizer?

I see this brush is a typical one with synthetic materials for the bristles versus camel hair - that is the hair from a camel - I kid you not - suppose to be the finest material for brushes - who knew? I gather the synthetic material is better than an 'organic' one?

Thanks, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Depends on what size you print. For smaller than 8x10, I prefer the 2". For 8x10 or 11x14, 3 inch. And for anything larger, 4 inch. I know some people use the 2" for 8x10, but I think the 3 inch is better/easier.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It doesn't soak up as much sensitizer (read eats less $$$) than other brushes. There are many people who have tried many other brushes, but we all just keep coming back to these so I would say go for it.

I have a 1.5 or 2" brush for my 3x4 - 8x10 prints and also purchased a 3" brush for 8x10+ (11x14 - 12x18). I may actually pick up a smaller 1" brush for my 3x4 prints, but the brush I have seems to be doing okay...
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Art, I use a 1 inch for 4x5, and a 2 inch for 5x7 and 8x10 (both 9010's). There are others here that can explain why, but my thoughts are the synthetic brush helps to "push" the substrate around while coating rather than the substrate getting absorbed by the bristles like it might with a camel hair. All I know for sure is that people much better than I recommend the Richeson and it was much easier to coat than with a puddle pusher.

lol Jeremy, we must have posted at the same time....Kerik, could to know about the 3 inch for 8x10, will have to get one and give it a go....I like easier/better
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    just to reiterate... I use a 2" for 5x7 and 8x10 (and the occasional 4x5) and a 4" for 7x17s. I just recently got the 4" one and the ease of coating the larger area is VERY noticeable. I always felt really rushed when coating a 7x17 area with the 2" one. Not so with the 4" brush. it was a shock the cost, reminded me of the times I bought a really nice tube of acrylic paint. like then, its worth the money.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When you're in the city, Art, stop in at Pearl Paint on Canal St. They carry Richeson brushes (the Richeson Miniature Series are the best spotting brushes, by the way), and I really like to be able to pick them in a store, rather than ordering by mail.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    When you're in the city, Art, stop in at Pearl Paint on Canal St. They carry Richeson brushes (the Richeson Miniature Series are the best spotting brushes, by the way), and I really like to be able to pick them in a store, rather than ordering by mail.
    FWIW, I've never seen the 9010 brush sold at Pearl Paint, at least here in Atlanta. Jerry's Art-O-Rama has the best price that I've seen.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Pearl Paint in New York is really big. Well stocked, but sometimes inconsistently, so they often have a huge selection of things, like a whole room of just brushes, but if you need one specific thing, and it's about the end of semester when art students have their projects due, you might not find it. Jerry's prices are often better online, but I still like to pick brushes in person.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I agree 100% with David.....I must see a brush and hold it in my hands before I'll even consider it. I drove to the Pearl in Chicago to do so. Every brush is unique in its own way and I look for different qualities when I make my selection. I know I'm anal but this is my ballpark here and I know a good brush and the Richeson is just magnificent. What they have done with that brush is something I thought impossible. My only complaint is the paint they use on the handle is garbage. Don't care though as it performs so well I overlook that. 2" is perfect for me for 5/7 and 3" is a charm on 8/10.

It's funny how (and no disrespect here whatsoever) we can dump literally thousands into equipment and when it comes to the tool that is going to bring it all home we pause and shudder to pull the trigger on it because it's "so expensive."
    "EVERY film and paper is good .......... for something"
    Phil Davis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    FWIW, I've never seen the 9010 brush sold at Pearl Paint, at least here in Atlanta. Jerry's Art-O-Rama has the best price that I've seen.

Don Bryant
    Is Jerrys local to Atlanta? My searches just came up with a dead link to the catalog.
    Gary Beasley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin