Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,707   Online: 1139

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Using colour negatives for PT printing?

Has anyone ever used a colour negative for PT (or any other alternative process) printing?

I want to give it a try, but I want to know what the affect and effect is - exposure times, formulation of the sensitizer, look of the final print, anything else.

Thanks, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never tried it, but with an orange negative base.... It is likely to filter most if not all the UV light. I would be prepared for some VERY long exposures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most all color films today contain UV absorbing layers. Not good for UV exposure.

Then too, you have to factor in the UV induced fade, especially at the intensities and times you would probably use.

By the end of your first exposure, your negative might have lost a bit of density due to dye fade.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    Has anyone ever used a colour negative for PT (or any other alternative process) printing?

I want to give it a try, but I want to know what the affect and effect is - exposure times, formulation of the sensitizer, look of the final print, anything else.

Thanks, Art.
    Art,

I think you will be wasting your time and material going this route. As Clay and PE have pointed out the orange base is likely to filter UV light pretty strongly. Also I don't think color negatives will have enough contrast to print well with palladium printing.

I've never tried it so I'm only speculating. Why don't you give it a try and let us know how well it works.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had someone try printing palladium with color negs in one of my workshops once. He got an image, but it sucked big time. The tonal relationships were all wrong and the print was weak and lifeless. Don't know what film he used. You'd be better off scanning the color negs, then going the digital neg route.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK I've got another question. Does transparency film have the same UV absorbing layer? I ask this question 'cause I have several cross processed negatives which are really slides.

Thanks, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You could dupe the slides to Type 55 Polaroid negs using your Daylab (it's 4x5" isn't it?). Increase the processing time for extra contrast for pt/pd.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin