Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,529   Posts: 1,543,964   Online: 1091

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How handy are you?

http://www.mastermolding.com/Beer/heater.html

http://www.mastermolding.com/Beer/

I'm guessing it's serious over kill and you'll have to scale it down quite a bit. But it shows just how much is possible. If there is a will.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Where would one look to buy a second hand "stirring hot place"?

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes
    Neil - how about getting a second hand "stirring hot plate"? These will not have a temperature feedback from the bath that you are wanting, but they are adjustable over a large range of temps - from luke warm to way over boiling. (I've accidentally melted aluminum foil on one once...)

With the stirring hot plate, I would set up a water bath to put your solution in, i.e. a larger beaker for the bath water and a smaller beaker for your chemical solution. Make sure there is space between the beakers for water to circulate by suspending the inner beaker so that you can drop a magnetic stir bar in to get even better circulation of the water bath.

Once you set this up and make adjsutments to the temp setting on the hot plate, you should be easily ably to get your solutions into the temp range you want and be able to hold the temp there for a long time.

Kirk

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking

Sandy
    Ebay.... Look under lab equipment.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Or search the web for "used lab equipment". Your first hit will probably be www.labx.com which seems to have a lot of stuff. Prices often seem high to me, as your are bidding against labs trying to get stuff for cheap or meth cookers just trying to get stuff, but then it's less expensive than new!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sandy.
    The warmer I got was about $15 at my local Target. Not the most technical perfect item... but after using it a few times with a pyrex its become pretty consistant and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking

Sandy

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Purchasing a Stirring Lab Plate

I got mine at our local Nurnburg Scientific in Portland, Or. So, check into scientific supply places. It was resale and cost me about $150. The magnetic stirrer that drops in the solution is about 2.5 inches long, so it's pretty good sized.

There are two dials, one for the speed of the magnetic stirrer and one for the hot plate. My hot plate will easily boil water.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Poulsen
    Thanks for the ideas.

I'm hoping to contrive something that's self-sustaining, that has a temperature sensor. Baxter's idea sounds like a possibility, because the current Nova Darkroom heating devices actually go to 44 deg. C or 45 deg. C on another. That's about 111 deg F, or a little higher. Only issue is that they run off of 220 volts. But, it shouldn't be that difficult to find a step-up transformer for 300 watts.
    Neil
    I'm sure that there are 120V units made by US companies, for the animal weening market. I was passing on to make the blatently obvious link between photography and suckling!!! After all we are in the alternative process forum.........

The Nova unit was about £80, so with a step-up transformer is getting pricey. In terms of max temp, I'm sure that they can be tweaked. I liked the fact that it was the significantly more durable stainless steel rather than glass too.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Finally bought the one at Nova darkroom. I looked all over in the U.S. and couldn't find a one that's similar. Since I don't need to heat that much volume, this is just for a water bath, I got the 150 watt one for 30 pounds sterling. Not quite as expensive.

As a possibility for someone who wants to thermostatically control their water bath, consider going to a jacuzzi/pool supply place where they have relatively inexpensive control units that control up to about 115 deg. F.

I'll also get a fountain pump to keep the water circulating. 112 deg. F should be fine, especially for Pt. I made my waterbath tray this weekend that can hold a 16x20 tray with room to spare and that has 4" sides. I'll probably cut my paper down after coating to fit. Later, when I have more space, I'll look towards larger trays. With this setup, I just start it and forget it. No messing around while I'm printing.

Thanks for all the input.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin