Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,984   Online: 840

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's not so much the contribution of the Pt metal to the formula, but a matter of the Pt metal changing oxidation states in an oxidation/reduction reaction. The difference is the oxidation state of the Pt metal in each solution. In Na2PtCl6 (sodium chloroplatinate) the platinum has a 4+ oxidation state. vs. the K2PtCl4 (potassium chloroplatinite) in which the platinum has a 2+ oxidation state.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Can you translate that into English?
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Joe, the way I think of it is: NA2 tans darker values faster with a bit more contrast. Kind of like printing multiple contrast does in silver. At the exposure level rather than in the devloper. doing it at the developer level seems to push existing imformation within the emulsion further which seems to effect the grain. Kind of like push processing.
    I don't know all the teck talk stuff so this is an observation only.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In simple terms, the Na2 consumes twice as much ferrous oxalate (ferric oxalate is converted to ferrous by UV light) than the palladium salt during the final reaction where ferrous converts back to ferric and causes the metals in the paper to reduce to the tiny particles that end up embedded in the fibers of the paper to form the image. Because it consumes the sensitizer at twice the 'normal' rate, it has a preferential effect in restraining the development of highlights, which have very little 'activated' sensitizer anyway. This causes the increase in contrast in the final image.

By way of a simple example, say a highlight area has 4 molecules of 'activated' ferrous and a shadow has 128 molecules of the same. Two extra molecules of Na2 in each print area would totally consume the 4 molecules of ferrous in the highlights, leaving none to convert the remaining palladium. The same thing happens in the shadows, but the reduction is only taking 4 out of 128 molecules of ferrous out of commission, leaving the rest (128-4=124) to reduce the palladium to image forming particles. The net result is hardly any effect on the resulting print density in the shadow areas on a percentage basis, but a profound effect in the resultant print density of the highlight areas.

This is vastly simplified, but that is basically how the contrast agents all work. The differences between the contrast agents come about in the side effects they create. The chlorates tend to cause the image-making particles to clump together and cause graining, while Na2 does not have this annoying tendency.

That is probably way more than anyone cares to know about this stuff. The simple fact is that the Na2 is just a good contrast increasing agent without the bad side effects that come with using chlorate in the sensitizer.

Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    It's not so much the contribution of the Pt metal to the formula, but a matter of the Pt metal changing oxidation states in an oxidation/reduction reaction. The difference is the oxidation state of the Pt metal in each solution. In Na2PtCl6 (sodium chloroplatinate) the platinum has a 4+ oxidation state. vs. the K2PtCl4 (potassium chloroplatinite) in which the platinum has a 2+ oxidation state.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Awesome! That's the best explanation I've read on how Na2 works. (Below is an artist's rendition of Clay explaining this phenomenon.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clay_prop.jpg  
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should see my new Christmas beanie. It plays Jingle Bells when the propeller turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    Awesome! That's the best explanation I've read on how Na2 works. (Below is an artist's rendition of Clay explaining this phenomenon.)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Kerik,

I know a person who wears double-breasted shirts with TWO pocket protectors. He calls it 'full frontal nerdity'.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I guess Clay and I don't speak English, we speak chemistry.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    so Ive edited this thread title so its more fitting to the topic. Hopefully thatlly make it searchable. good explanation clay.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It still needs a bit of dumbing down. Is It light reactive or chemical reactive? I only have one pocket and no protecters.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin