Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,679   Posts: 1,482,183   Online: 1052

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Palladium/Platinum NA2 explanation (formerly B&S Chlorate thread)

So Ive heard on many fronts that using NA2 for a contrasting agent is a much better method than the Chlorate added to Ferric Oxalate in their solution #2. I am working on a series of prints and have been using the Solution #2 for contrast control and it is actually doing a pretty good job. Its rare that I use alot of the #2 solution but this one I really found it helped the negative and resulting print.

Thought I would share the results with anyone whos in a similiar place as myself (still feeling their way through pt/pd printing)

I still plan on trying the NA2 as contrast control in the future but have been getting fairly good results with the basic setup that comes with the B&S kit. (of course Ive long since gone through a starter kit )

heres the test strips I came up with..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails teststrips.jpg  
    Last edited by scootermm; 12-22-2005 at 09:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You might want to try this test on an image that has a lot of smooth, even toned areas. I think you'll see grain and lose the creamy quality of pt/pd. An image like you've shown is all texture and graininess is much less apparent. These look pretty good, though.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2013 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    kerik, Im looking forward to hopefully getting the NA2 chemicals in january and testing it out and comparing on some "sky" type images... you and many others have mentioned the same thing, which is tantamount to scripture (especially when I test it out for myself). Guess for right now Im just lucky this series is very textural and the possible graininess gets hidden by it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any particular reason you are using more total metal solution drops than ferric oxalate drops in your drop count? I always use the same volume of each with the thought being that if there is no ferric to convert the metal, it just ends up being washed down the drain.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    no excuse other than misinformed. The drop count tables Ive seen always had like one or two drops (depending on the print size) less total FO than metal. dually noted and thanks for the info clay, me showing my ignorance and newbieness

edit note: the JPG should read 9 drops of PD and 3 drops of PT I misslabelled the file.
    still one drop more than needed so I think Ill start adjusting that to save some solution.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    NA2 is great! you don't need much and there is adjustment in exposure but it is very conveniant and less grain. I only use about on average 1/2 a drop.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, Matt...even more newbiee to the DOP process, what is NA2? I keep hearing about it, but have not seen anything on the B&S site. Guess I need to pick up Dick Arentz book, I have the Chris James book (which I find good for coverage of all the differetnt alt. process), and was considering the Sullivan & Weese book, in place of Arentz book. Plan to give DOP Pld a try after all of the POP (Zia's) to compare.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Matt:

I have been using the Na2 for a while now and the level of contrast increase is much higher than the #2 FO. The one thing I do miss however is the ability to add in more platinum to the mix with out increasing the contrast. All the prints basically become palladium with very small amounts of platinum. Before with he #2 FO I was able to make changes to the look of the prints by changing the PT to PD ratio. Does anyone know if you can still add straight Platinum#3 into the mix when using Na2 for contrast control?

Ray Bidegain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Pall #3

Yes Ray-you can add one drop to the mixfor incresed black...
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Na2 is what we call Sodium Chloroplatinate. I use it because FO #2 is evil (Jorge says so and I don't argue with Jorge on this topic ) and was the cause of most of my failures in Pt/Pd printing. Even though it does contain platinum, I don't subtract that amount from the Pt contribution of my sensitizer.

Would any of the tech wizards (or alchemists) out there be able to do a comparision between the Na2 and the Potassium Chloroplatinite's contribution of Platinum metal to the sensitizer formula?
    A New Project! Transformations 02/02/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin