Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,496   Posts: 1,543,051   Online: 1010

Shooter
    Multi Format

Alt process in Toronto?

Hi everyone,

I've been getting my feet wet with cyanotypes using pre-coated paper ("Solargraphics" photogram-making paper from a toy store -- $12 for 15 5x7" sheets!) So far I'm enjoying myself and am looking to try "real" cyanotypes, Van Dyke Brown and possibly kallitypes.

Canadian options for getting the chemistry required for these processes are a little limited. Shipping from US sources is expensive and takes a long time... JD Photochem (Montreal) sells the raw materials but the minimum order quantities will leave me enough for a lifetime supply (several hundred Van Dyke Browns, etc.) and at a fairly high price.

Is there anyone in the Toronto area who does alt process work and would be willing to sell me a few grams each of the necessary chemicals? (tartaric acid, ferric ammonium citrate, silver nitrate, etc.) -- or know where I could obtain them locally?

And while I'm at it, does anyone have a recommendation for where to look (in the Toronto area) for suitable papers? Loomis/Curry's or something more exotic?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format

split orders?

Order size was the thing for me too.

I'd be willing to pitch in and split an order for these chems. If we can find a couple other souls also in the area, it might be a bit less painfull.

Any other GTA takers out there... ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    Order size was the thing for me too.

I'd be willing to pitch in and split an order for these chems. If we can find a couple other souls also in the area, it might be a bit less painfull.

Any other GTA takers out there... ?
    Rogueish, that sounds like a great idea. I'd be very willing, and I have access to good balances to "part out" the materials.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jordan,

Nymoc Chemicals on McGee (off Queen, east of the DVP) will sell you the chemicals needed. Last time I was there I picked up 25g of silver nitrate for $26CDN.

Nymoc
    24 McGee St
    Toronto ONT M4M 2K9
    CANADA
    (416) 465-1929

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forgot to add - for papers try Woolfits on Queen St west. They stock various standard 'art' papers but also Arches Platine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For those who may be interested in the outcome of this thread, I recently picked up my order of chemicals from Nymoc. Their prices are considerably higher than JD Photochem, even when shipping from Montreal is taken into account. So you pay a price for convenience...

Woolfitts was great for paper, too. I bought a pad of Stonehenge Rising to get me started.

If anyone in Toronto needs some tartaric acid or ferric ammonium citrate, let me know!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin