Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,719   Online: 817

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Joe,

I really like one of the images in the middle. I am trying to make exposures like that for one of my projects. How was it done? Were you just printing darker or you controlled the exposure while taking pictures? Sorry for changing the topic by the way...

cjarvis,

Yes, my gum solution is still in fridge. Well, I was told to do so, at least while I am mixing it. I am about to mix some dichromate solutions and put gum over Pd prints once I figure out a problem in Pd printing (which is described in another thread)...

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinnya
    Joe,

I really like one of the images in the middle. I am trying to make exposures like that for one of my projects. How was it done? Were you just printing darker or you controlled the exposure while taking pictures?
    Tsuyoshi,

It is a bit of both. The negative was a Polaroid p/n film which was exposed for the Polaroid print so the negative was slightly underexposed. I deliberately printed it dark as well. Furthermore, it is a zone plate image which has diffused and lowered the contrast of the image.

This BTW is the most difficult scan I've ever done because the dark areas are subtly separated. I had to make it a .gif file instead of a .jpg in order to get it close to the actual appearence of the print. If viewed on a Windows machine I suspect the result looks much more contrasty and darker than the actual print.

Thanks.

Joe

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Hi. I've been doing gum for a couple of years.
    Yes, it should be kept refrigerated--unless you're using that tar-like substance that's sold pre-mixed as printer's gum, which is loaded with preservatives. Gum acacia is an organic substance and spoils more quickly in heat. I add a tiny dose of preservative to mine when I mix it.
    So tell us more about your ambitions and the materials you're using.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Yes, my gum solution is still in fridge. Well, I was told to do so, at least while I am mixing it. I am about to mix some dichromate solutions and put gum over Pd prints once I figure out a problem in Pd printing (which is described in another thread)...

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    FWIW,

I never put my gum in the fridge. If you are mixing it yourself you can add about 5ml of 100% thymol per liter of your gum mix (what ever your gum mix ratio is; 1 to 2, or 1 to 3, etc.).

I just keep mine in a sealed container in my darkroom. It pours out with a slight tint but smells like a fresh band aid and works great!

Don Bryant

Images
    I do gum as well (http://kate.photopoints.com)

An excellent description of the process is in the Issue #1 of The World Journal of Post-Factory Photography. You can download the issue from www.alternativephotography.com (run the search through the site to locate the file. It's quite big and takes a while to download.)

Kate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am printing and finally feel like I have something to show. This is Gum over Pd from a 7x17 negative...

www.projectbasho.org/~tito/gumover/wlh_04.jpg

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    I am printing and finally feel like I have something to show. This is Gum over Pd from a 7x17 negative...

www.projectbasho.org/~tito/gumover/wlh_04.jpg

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    Can you tell us a little about your technique?

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don,

Sure, I would be happy to. Let me know what you would like to know.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Can you tell us a little about your technique?

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Don,

Sure, I would be happy to. Let me know what you would like to know.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    Just a general run down of your work flow. How you coat. What kind of pigments you use. Gum ratios, etc., etc.

Don

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin