Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,853   Online: 1133

Shooter
    Medium Format

Old Gold Chloride

How do I tell decomposed gold chloride powder from the good kind? I understand it's sensitive to light, but what does it look like if it's been exposed? I'm guessing it would darken, or perhaps form a mirror surface on the glass if that's what it's stored in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I spent some time trying to look this up for you and find nothing in my handbooks that can help. All they say is protect from light.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The only test I can think of would be for total chloride content, something not available to you. Sounds like your just going to have to try some of it.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for giving it a shot!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

What are you planing to use the gold for ?

What are you planing to use the gold for ?
    It should be fine is you plan to use it as developer(2) or toner (1)
    i will be more carefull about using it on PT/PL printing, otherwise it should be fine
    I use it as developer or in PT/PL in the emultion mix and as a developer on Chrysotype the solution leftovers from developing are recycle as toner with not problems just dont shake it or you could filter it usng a paper coffe filter.
    Where did you get it from? do you have alot?
    Last edited by Gustavo_Castilla; 01-09-2006 at 10:19 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typo
    Gustavo Castilla
    We are not moved by things ,
    but by the views we take of them.
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would use it for silver-gelatin toner, and possibly give the chrysotype rex a shot. If I do buy it and it seems OK, I will have a surplus to sell.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    here is your main concern. it really doesn't matter how 'pure' it is, just that it goes into your toning solution. If you can make your solution, and there isn't much that filters out, you are set. Get a gram or two to test.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by avandesande
    here is your main concern. it really doesn't matter how 'pure' it is, just that it goes into your toning solution. If you can make your solution, and there isn't much that filters out, you are set. Get a gram or two to test.
    Right - if it dissolves, it should be fine. If it has decomposed, part of it will be metallic gold, which won't dissolve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Helped by your advice, I did go through with the purchase, and the gold chloride has so far proven fine. Proper orange color, and dissolves easily in water. My surplus is on sale:

http://www.apug.org/classifieds/show...t=last7&page=2
    Last edited by psvensson; 01-24-2006 at 05:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin