Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,869   Online: 1033

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paxette
    Thanks.
    It's a digital negative (actually a positive on paper) printed on cheap office paper with a ink jet printer. I've tried transparency film but thus far all the gumoil prints from those transparencies have been duds. I know next to nothing about making digital prints so I'm kinda winging it while I learn.
    ahaha... this might explain...
    I want to try too with an inkjet paper positive... or perhaps a paper positive from the darkroom...

as for the gum... did you use powdered gum or the liquid ready made one?

thanks a lot, I want to try again now!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use premixed liquid gum.

Also, for places to look for powdered gum, try art supply stores that offer printmaking supplies (like intaglio and lithography), eg: Daniel Smith, they should have it since gum arabic is needed for some of those processes too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it's alright, I found and tried powdered gum, but I didn't see any difference...

I will try with the paper positive thing, who knows..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Posted gumoil in Gallery

Hello all

I've posted one of my attempts at gumoil in the APUG experimental gallery,
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18320

regards
    BirgerA

Shooter
    35mm
    found this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...07351277&hl=en

haven´t seen it with sound yet, so i don´t know whether it could help you...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Interesting video. It's kinda strange - whenever I look at people demonstrating things, it always seems so easy. I have never seen anyone doing any sort of gumoil print, so I was a bit surprised by the seemingly heavy rubbing that was done.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been doing gumoils for about 3-4 months and am getting fairly nice results. I am unable to get a satisfactory second layer of oil, but I am happy with the effects with just using Van Dyke Brown or Lamp Black for my first layer followed by a 15 sec bleach. You can see my gumoils here:Guest Pass link
    http://www.flickr.com/gp/92861400@N00/r4esg2

Jim Larimer
    http://larimerphoto.blogspot.com
    Last edited by JimLarimer; 06-09-2008 at 05:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have found out that a normal gum / bichromate ratio of 3:1 isn't thick enough for me. I have the commercially availlable liquid solution, but also made a 50% GUM SOLUTION (so 150 gram powdered gum, into 300 ml water). I now use a ratio of 2:1:1,5, meaning i use 2 parts thick gum, 1 part 'normal' gum, and 1,5 part dichromate, this is to compensate for the thicker gum, so it will get a bit more sensitive..

I still have the same problems as you guys, no details in the midtones, no real possibility for etching... but also looking further for answers :-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin