Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,484   Posts: 1,571,258   Online: 1035

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor
    ... and calibrated it using pocket change (yes I know, but it was good enough for me)
    "Pocket change" happens to be fairly accurate.

As a sideline in a previous life, where I was calibrating scales and balances with class "P" weights, I noted that a new United States dime weighs - pretty damn close to - 3 (three) grams; and a new United States nickel was close to 5 (five) grams.

RCBS - the Reloading Equipment Supplier (rifle and pistol ammunition) carries a Digital Scale --- RCBS "1500" or something like that ... that looks promising - something like 1500 grains capacity ( I'm too "burned" at the moment to convert anything) and 0.1 grains accuracy - switchable to metric, grams. I am NOT familiar with it - at all - but other reloaders have recommended it. I've got to find time to visit a RCBS dealer and check it out. A Google search for "RCBS" should provide more information.

If anyone thinks that photographers are overly fussy and "anal" about what they are doing, they should contemplate those who reload their own ammunition - especially the "Bench Rest" group.... UNBELIEVABLY picky and fussy. Makes the fussiest photographer look like a troglodyte.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    If anyone thinks that photographers are overly fussy and "anal" about what they are doing, they should contemplate those who reload their own ammunition - especially the "Bench Rest" group.... UNBELIEVABLY picky and fussy. Makes the fussiest photographer look like a troglodyte.
    Ed, maybe thats because we relatively rarely have to deal with chemistry that is supposed to explode!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing
    Ed, maybe thats because we relatively rarely have to deal with chemistry that is supposed to explode!
    "Explosion" is not the issue. Powders - both smokeless ("progressive" is a better description) and "black", are safe with a small amount of mandatory care - primers are more sensitive - but nothing to "jump out your skin" over.

Uniformity IS paramount. Without it, accuracy goes down the toilet - and that is the name of the game in "Bench Rest" shooting.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Relative to reloading, though, I have a reloading scale (which I've been using to weigh photographic chemicals recently) that goes to 500+ grains in 0.1 grain increments (15.4 grains to the gram, BTW; that makes the increments about 6.5 mg), with no batteries and very few parts. It's accurate enough that I can see variations much smaller than the 0.1 grain minimum setting increment, and it is in fact possible to set the scale to smaller increments by estimation (the small increment adjustment is on a screw thread, so continuously variable).

I've had the scale for about 25 years, it's been through something like a dozen moves, and it still swings smoothly, zeroes out easily, and damps consistently. Dunno what I'll do for photo chems if I ever get back to reloading...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    35mm RF

Rcbs scale

I have the RCBS 5-0-5 and it is a very good scale. It gives a 1/10 of a grain accuracy and worth every cent of the $55-$65 a new one will cost.

An excellent online source is midwayusa.com. They also carry other good scales, both analog and digital, but the RCBS is pretty much the standard for this type tool.

If you know a gun collector with a Curio & Relic FFL or someone wiht a dealers license, ask them to order it for you, as MidwayUSA will give a dealer discount if they have their license on file.

I recommend that you try the Lee powder dipper sets just for a nice set of small plastic dippers. They are calibrated for volume-metric ammo reloading and there is a slide rule for smokeless powders you won’t need, but for darkroom work they are cheap little tools that will come in hand when pulling out chemicals from a jar or package.

A word of warning if you use any scale that incorporate magnetic damping, like these small scales. If you use florescent lighting, florescent lights can affect the scales' reading if they are too close to the tool. See general rule 11 here www.speer-bullets.com/default.asp?s1=5&s2=19

Cheers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin