Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,722   Online: 840

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kerik,

I'm getting ready to do some VDB printing with Platine myself. Do you recommend going straight to the double coating? My paper is stored indoors in my basement, which is dry, but cold.

Also, regarding the hair dryer, why do you recommend that it is not hot? I had not heard that before, and could use your experience before I start burning up the paper/solution.

Thanks man!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Double coating paper?

I have started to double coat my paper - arches platine - as this appears to resolve an issue with the density of the blacks. I think it maybe that the paper being stored in the darkroom could get a little damp and may inhibit the solution being taken up by the paper and thus leaving me with a lot of solution that isn't being absorbed. I will start to bring the paper into the house and see if this makes a difference. However, if double coating should the solution be let to dry - even hair dired - before applying the seconed coat?

Thanks folks, Carl.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Carl,

Damp paper will usually suck up the sensitizer quicker than dry paper. It's easier for moisture to flow along already moist paths rather than when the paper is completey dry.

Platine is a paper that usually does benefit from double-coating, depending on the image. It's best to dry it completely prior to applying the second coat. Yes, a hair dryer is fine as long as it's not HOT.

(BTW - PM coming soon...)
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Not HOT?

I have been using a HOT hair dryer - I did notice a distinct change in colour as I was drying the paper to a darker orange as opposed to a yellow? Prints appear to be ok - currently drying, I'll scan and post when dry but these are pinhole images and so not to everyones taste here

Take care, Carl

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I doubt that anything is to everyone’s taste Carl; so don’t feel inhibited about posting your images.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Carl, your reference to HOT hair dryer rang an alarm bell; so I just checked in the book Silver Gelatin where they refer to gentle heating to accelerate drying. Excessive heat may introduce reticulation they say.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Too much heat with pt/pd printing can cause fogging. If that's not happening, you're probably OK. As for VDB, I'm not sure since I've never used that process.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade
    Kerik,

Do you recommend going straight to the double coating? My paper is stored indoors in my basement, which is dry, but cold.

Also, regarding the hair dryer, why do you recommend that it is not hot? I had not heard that before, and could use your experience before I start burning up the paper/solution.

Thanks man!
    Michael,

Regardless of paper type or brand always double coat VDB. Let the first coat dry first before applying the second. Hot air can cuase the sensitiser to fog or have a splotchy effect.

Look at the bright side of VDB printing and double coating, it's inexpensive.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just a little input. I tested both double coating and single side by side. Yes there was an increase in saturation. But I found also that by using a bit more coating material for the first coat. (being careful not to splatter) I used less metal and got the same effect. A bit more care in the application of the emulsion is very important to avoid splotching and density variance but it does work really well. Also keeping the emulsion cool during exposure with fans worked great for increased sharpness or less paper fog.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'd been using the sun as my UV source and well.. My prints on a hot day turned out orange-brown.. Today was a chilly but bright day and I got beautiful dark brown tones. I'm believing that the heat has a lot to do with the orange-brown tone.

I tried using one coat like I do with cyanotypes but quickly found that two coats really gives you a more even (and dense) image.

I use a flat watercolor brush with a good edge. Everyone recommends the Richeson 9010 brush and it looks like a wonderful brush. I use a $4 special from Michaels arts and crafts. It's 3/4" wide and is perfect for me with 4x6's. Dampen it a little and the solution just goes on nice and evenly.

I also add one to two drops of glycerine (stuff you use with cake frosting and cooking)
    to aid in coating. I can coat about 4 layers onto the Cranes paper without it soaking through the paper. *shrug*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin