Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,976   Online: 963

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Gim

If anybodys interested in a real bike challenge look at the "National 24 hour Challenge" that is run here out of Middleville, MI. How many miles can you ride in 24 hours. There will be 450-500 riders and people come from all over this country and other countries. The record I believe is 493 miles, 8am to 8am. There are some pretty serious people out there and regulars just doing their best. This has been going on since 1983 and in 2005, riders from 21 states, Canada, Denmark and New Zealand paarticipated. Info at WWW.N24HC.ORG.

I volunteer every year and will be on the checkpoint 12:00 to 4:00 am. See you all there.
    Jim

edit. Fathers Day weekend

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    I did spend a couple of days during the summer pottering around the back lanes of Hampshire and the New Forest on my bike with my old Zeiss Ikon Nettar folder in the handlebar bag... Good fun and I intend to do more this year as soon as the weather improves.

Riding a bike in London however, is a quick way of testing the efficiency of the Ambulance service...

Cheers, Bob.
    Now THAT is a great idea.... not the part about a London ambulance, but pottering in the countryside with a nifty folder and a bike. THAT is what may yet tempt me to acquire a suitable 120 camera... maybe an Ensign Selfix ?

Somehow related to the whole APUG spirit is the resurrection of Brooks from the demise of Sturmey Archer. The good old leather saddles are gaining new friends every day, not to mention their re-introduction of leather bags.

You've put terrible ideas into my head, Bob.... I have no intention of resistance !

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ride, about 3000 miles a year, not bad for an old fat guy. I'm planning on riding the Michigan West Tour in July/August with The League of Michigan Cyclists. I've ridden it a couple times before 2001 & 2003. Great ride and plenty of photo ops on the Lake Michigan coast.

I rode Kansas one year and a guy that rode mounted an old Pentax with a 28mm under his seat and took shots of riders behind him. You can see his rear wheel in most of the photos - bak.org/archives/pastweb/bak98/bak98fr.html He had a cable release on his top tube but would have to reach under the seat to advance the film.

dw

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I read this thread with interest as I work at the National Cycling Centre in Manchester, UK - the Velodrome. I am the head coach there and have been in cycling [and track cycling] for a long time. I don't race now since I have little illness that's prevents me but I do get the old bikes out and go out cycling on the local lanes and trails a little- and tandeming too.
    Here in the Uk we are still recovering from a tragic accident when a car wiped out and killed four club cyclists a week ago - all cyclists that came into the place where I work to ride. Such a sad time.
    Anyway, great to see other cyclist /photogs out there. I take a Retinette 1a on my bke :-)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I ride a Tommasini, and when I ride I carry my rolli 35s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've also always enjoyed cycling and used to be a tour guide on cycling tours throughout Europe (Germany, Austria, Hungary, Switzerland...) had a great time.
    I'm off on another ride in 1/2 hour with the 35mm and 120mm. Nice to meet you.
    Kindest regards,
    Nicole

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like cycling, and I get to work across the centre of town faster on my bike than I could drive round the ring road. I also like the charm of the old 'bicycle' cameras and sales literature. But, and it's a big but, I don't find it a good way of taking photographs. It's just too fast: I need to walk before I have time to see.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=df cardwell
    Any other cyclists here ? [/QUOTE]

Having had to surrender my driving licence last week for medical reasons (no - alcohol did not figure in this!) I may well find myself re-discovering the joys (?) of being a cycling photographer in the next year !!!

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    this topiuc came up at just the right time. i have decided to start cycling again as a means of conservation here in Minneapolis. There are easy trails from my house to my office and I plan to ride in twice a week. This means no kids to shuttle to and from school, no court appearances and no field visits with clients. but that simply means I have to be conscious about scheduling these so that I can have the cycling for the 7 miles each way. I will carry my Vitomatic ii with it's pristine 50mm Skopar and my Olympus XA with its 28mm lens.
    Luke
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Still, and all, let's not talk about hardware, but the ride. Racing never interested me: that's to say I never WANTED to race. The ride was always the place to escape everything else.

Long quiet rides are still sanity-making...
    I agree! The thing that kept me on the road for 1000+ miles a year was the ability to get out in the country and just be part of the scenery. There is really something magical about riding quietly into the world and just becoming part of it. You can stop when you want, there is no noise, and everything moves at a casual pace. Don't get me wrong, I really have nothing against the racers other than that they seem to give cyclists a bad reputation around where I live by riding in large packs in the traffic lane and disrupting traffic frequently.

Unfortunately, all of the places that I most cherished are now covered in zero lot line 'houses', but on the up side, I have a large, and growing, walk/bike/skate trail system near by. Right now the largest stretch is a 35 mile ride out and back, but it will soon be connected to another large system allowing something approaching a century round trip. I can't wait!

- Randy

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin