Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,456   Posts: 1,570,576   Online: 916

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Originally Posted by Erkki
    "I have noticed that many good photographers are also cyclists. I have a special interest for both of them too.

Some ten years ago there was a photo exhibition in Finland called “Where to?” The exhibition poster illustrated a shadow of a bicycle. The largest newspaper of the country wrote "As soon as photographers find where to go, they surely take a bicycle to get there.”

Is there some mythical connection between photography & cycling? If so what might it be?"

There's no perspective quite like what you get when riding a bike. The bicycle is an extension of the body as a camera is an extension of the eye.
    I'm particularly partial to casual, non-competitive urban street riding.

My "tools" for two-wheeled transport are as follows:

1999 Trek 7700 Multitrack (hybrid)- Ruby Metro shocks and Rolf-Vector rims. NiteRider lighting system. (A little bit of Heaven on wheels).

2001 Specialized Rockhopper hard-tail (Hell on wheels)!

So. Cal.= 340 perfect cycling days a year!
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About halfway through the first cup of coffee, my vision begins to clear... and I'm absolutely stunned by the posts overnight. Maybe we should make up some t-shirts or something !? ( my budget can't stretch to vintage wool and embroidery ! )

GIM: The 24 hour challenge is insane. But maybe this year I'll be game. I'll probably be away... but who knows ?

PE: I think a great topic would be 'pictures that didn't happen'. Like your deer, and you without a camera ! LOL + tears !

DYLDER: old fat guy ? 3000 miles a year ? that condition is self-correcting, if true !
    I love "baks" pictures.

SCHLAPP: grieving with you over that accident. saw your gallery: D Smith, esq. resembles a predatory bird... which is apt ! A retinette is perfect.

I don't think I've ever made a 'great image' on a ride or cycling trip... but lots of pleasant snaps that have been nice to accumulate.

Raining. Supposed to snow this afternoon. Rush hour's over.

It's time. See you later

Maybe this is a good subgroup ?
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    What are you doing the last week of July? May I suggest RAGBRAI--the Registers Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa. Six days, 500 miles, 10,000 of your closest friends. It has the best of all worlds--great food, homemade pies, as much beer as you can drink and still get on a bike the next day, young girls dressed (or not)...

Visit their website. The route for next year should be announced next month. The small towns in Iowa go all out to host the riders--beer gardens, church dinners, live bands, and did I mention the girls?

Remember though, Iowa is not flat--especially Southern Iowa. Hill training strongly advised.

I have gone on the ride for the last two years with my teen age son. When ever I needed to find him, I just looked for the team bus for Team Blond--did I mention the girls?

My daily schedule: hit the road at 6:30, ride 6 miles, stop for breakfast, ride 6 more miles, stop for brunch, ride 6 miles, stop at Mr. Pork Chop, ride 6 miles, stop for steak sandwhich, ride 6 miles, get lunch, ride 6 miles, stop at Pastafari, ride 6 miles, stop for pie, ride 6 miles, get homemade ice cream...

I rode 500 miles and gained 10 pounds in a week. Did I mention the home made pie?

Allen

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Anyone use a B.O.B (beer on board..hehe) of these ? I was thinking about ordering one...All I need to do now is to make a simple cam to create a pumping action for the tap....Err, I mean my Sinar case would fit nicely on it.

http://www.bobtrailers.com/trailers/yak.php

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell

Any other cyclists here ? A few, I know; gentle riders, psycho-cross, anyone who loves to ride a bicycle.
    schwinnparamount, his userid is obvious
    I started racing back in '82 as a junior
    started riding again 3 years ago
    started racing again last year
    will start racing veterans category this year! Yikes from Junior to Veteran in a blink of an eye.

Images
    I love riding my bike but hate carrying anything with me. SO I never have a camera with me.

This would be the perfect place to ride if it were not for the uncontained dogs. Lots of hills, not many paved roads. Last summer I had to quit riding when it got too damn dangerous because of new dogs in the area that plain hated bicyclists. They seem to be gone and are not bothering walkers these days so I might be able to get back on.

And before anyone says call the dog pound I tried. They don't do shit.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I need to get one of those bicycle trailers to haul my son (and the LF gear!) behind me as soon as spring gets here. My wife and I enjoy nice leisurely ride on the waterfront trail. The trail is about 450 km from Niagara to Brockville but we usually do only about 10 km at a stretch.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I too am an avid cyclist. My last big trip was this past summer, rode from Gdansk Poland to Tallin, Estonia. A wonderful, beautiful and very interesting experience. As we were travelling very light (tent and all), I only had my Rollei 35S with me but it served me well.

Sorry,I'm limited to a Raleigh folding Moulton. I guess there will now be a rush to search e-bay for Cycle Pocos
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne
    Sorry,I'm limited to a Raleigh folding Moulton. I guess there will now be a rush to search e-bay for Cycle Pocos
    Mark
    No, but you just drove the price of Moultons even higher !!!

:o
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin