Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,730   Online: 1243

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cycling and Photography

( in the alternative processes just for the heck of it )

A century, or so, ago it was the hot thing to be a bicyclist and a photographer.

Well, I'm just slow to catch on, and slower to give up.

Outside my darkroom is my bike shop, with the old Masi getting cleaned up from last Thursday's ride in the snow. On the wall, next to the Rodinal times for every film made in the last 50 years, is my so-called training schedule for winter. And a picture of the hills outside Carhaix, Bretagne - a place I want to be in a year and a half and wonder how I'll make it.

Any other cyclists here ? A few, I know; gentle riders, psycho-cross, anyone who loves to ride a bicycle.

attached picture: the view atop Montagnes Noires.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh yeah! I'm a cyclist! Hybrid rider outdoors, racer and turbo trainer indoors! I cycle every day. I find it the best way to get around with a camera, especially from spring onwards! Please excuse the very poor picture quality, the racer shot was taken with my phone camera. Oh the shame!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Almost exactly one year ago we had a thread on this very topic--

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=cycling
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've been cycling for about 30 years, and photographing for about 35. I used to ride quite a bit, before I moved to urban sprawl central, but I still get out when I can find the time. I still ride an 1982 touring bike, my first true touring frame bicycle, as well as a more modern mountain bike, and I often have a small camera on hand, just in case.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I cycle on my Schwinn Mesa Runner with a camera hung around my neck. I've never been able to get good pix when I have that damned camera. The best opportunities always happen when I don't have the camera.

I've had 3 deer trot alongside me through the woods looking at me like the intruder I was, and me with no camera. When I have it, not a wild animal in sight.

Sometimes though, I just hike.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks David... wonder why it wasn't there when I searched for it

Still, and all, let's not talk about hardware, but the ride. Racing never interested me: that's to say I never WANTED to race. The ride was always the place to escape everything else.

Long quiet rides are still sanity-making. Middle Age demands a different contribution to the bike than my younger years, and a daily 2 hour ride gives back 4 hours of productivity.

An APUG team for Paris-Brest-Paris in 2007 ?
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Gim

I ride a road bike. For the last couple of years I have only logged a few hundred miles each and since retirement have gained some pounds. This summer I will try for a few thousand miles (at least that is what I tell myself). The traffic around here is a lot rougher than it was not too many years ago and now I try to stay on the paths or in larger rides where there is a big group of cyclist. Nothing like a good bike ride.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    GIM: The streets are suicidal around me, except for a few special hours, and a couple parkways with a broad shoulder. Where are you ???

I've seen deer, of course, regularly on my rides. Fox, a couple times a year.

Funny black cats with white stripes down their back. Always fun.

No skunks on Cape Breton though.

-Bertrand Russell

Gim

df, Wyoming, suburb of Grand Rapids. The best trail close around here is the one from Marne to Muskegon. Can get 50 miles round trip but it does get a little boring riding the same trail all the time. Occasionally get out to other trails and this summer want to get back into riding in the bigger rides. Even rode a ride in the U.P. once. One cool ride is the Apple Cider ride from Three Oaks Mi. Rode in it a couple time several years ago. They limit the riders to 7000 and I just wanted to see what 7000 bikers looked like. I doubt if they really have 7000 but they had a bunch. Maybe we can be on the same ride one of these days.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did spend a couple of days during the summer pottering around the back lanes of Hampshire and the New Forest on my bike with my old Zeiss Ikon Nettar folder in the handlebar bag... Good fun and I intend to do more this year as soon as the weather improves.

Riding a bike in London however, is a quick way of testing the efficiency of the Ambulance service...

Cheers, Bob.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin