Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,865   Posts: 1,583,202   Online: 828

Thread: Paper question

Images

Paper question

SO, what qualities make a good paper for Pt/Pd? I know there are peprs out there thast plain suck and there are those that set the standard. What is different about them?

I'm just curious.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'm surprised that more knowledgeable folk ain't replied to this yet. Here's the things that I can think of off the top of my head:

1. PH
    2. Sizing
    3. Texture
    4. Chemistry unrelated to PH

You can change the PH of paper to make it nuetral or acidic and you can size paper to change the way it absorbs solution but some papers just won't work no matter what you do. I've done everything I can think of to make Arches Hot Pressed watercolor paper make a decent print but it won't (I've got a huge stash of it for non photo use is the only reason for beating my head against that wall).

Texture is what it is, some images I think work with the loss of detail that a more textured paper gives. But I think in general most people keep to the smooth ones.

I'm going on my own voodoo experience but I think some papers have something in the sizing or the rag itself that just don't agree with sensitizing solution.
    "If I only had a brain"-Some badly dressed guy made of straw in some movie I think I saw

Images
    why would you want it acidic or neutral?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It also has to hold up in water.

Mateo--Arches Hot Press is a good paper for Polaroid transfers (Cold Press too for a rougher look).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    For most of the alternative, hand-coated processes which require UV exposure the following qualities are necessary:

Stand up to long wet time
    100% cotton or linen rag
    Unbuffered
    Neutral to slightly acidic
    Internal sizing - some still require additional sizing

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin