Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,336   Online: 968

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Gold Toner - how long does it last in stock?

I have some old (6+ years) bottles of Gold Chloride toner, still in the original boxes and bottles, never opened. Is it still useable for toning silver gelatin prints, or should I replace it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Why not try it and find our?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think gold chloride in solution in a sealed bottle is very long lasting, but if mixed with an alkali it deteriorates in a matter of hours. I'm guessing the gold chloride is separate, so it probably is fine.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Because if I pop it open just to see if it's good, and it is, I'll have to toss a lot down the drain because I won't have a body of work ready for it. I don't know about you but I don't particularly enjoy throwing $80 down the sink. The bottle I have is a 1 gallon size.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can see the difficulty in fitting $80.00 down a drain, but not why Gold Chloride should go off when opened, always assuming that you put the top back on the bottle. I use the stuff a lot and find that it lasts many months, as I keep it in a sealed bottle between uses. The danger is in cross contamination, something to which it is very susceptible too, so I reserve a set of trays, funnels etc for its use. I would agree with David that it is almost certainly alright, but still say there is only one sure way to find out.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was worried about it as I have been told that once mixed to working strength, it only lasts 6-8 hours at working dilution, and even re-bottled with a good seal it is prone to fade quickly. I'll have to look around and see if I have a smaller size bottle of the same vintage, and give it a try in a clean tray.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I should have added to my last post for clarity that I use Tetenal Gold Toner which comes ready mixed, and has a very good shelf life.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What I have is the Berg Archival Gold toner, which comes in a Part A/Part B solution. You mix with a predetermined amount of water to get your working bath.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin