Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,726   Online: 854

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy
    Is Post Factory a magazine? I have never seen it, but I would at least like to have that issue.
    The magazine was published independently by Judy Segal and had 8 or 9 issues (I forget how many). Originally she sent out the first issue free of charge. I think the entire set can now be purchased from photo eye. It's a great read, eclectic and informative.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinnya
    Hi,

There is a great article in Post Factory issue #2 on making enlarged negatives using Arista films.
    I might also recommend Dave Soemarko's LC-1 developer for high contrast lith type films which I beleive was also published in Post Factory Journal.

Don't have PFJ? Then go here for his formula:

http://members.aol.com/fotodave/Articles/LC-1.html

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is exactly what I am referring to.

He did a test and Dektol was giving very unpredictable result. I am not saying it cannot be done. I am sure many people have done that way, and it works in a sense that any developer develops latent images... But some are more stuitalbe to the particular use than others.

The situation is rather contradictory: while you need inter-positive with less density, which means less development time, less agitation, and more diluted developer. But you will also need to get even tones without mottling or excessive edge effects which require longer development time, more agitation, and stronger developer. Dektol is a developer with a high alkalinity due to amount of carbonate which makes difficult for these requirements to meet at the same time.

D-76 works a little better, and his LC-1 works really nice. It is a two-part developer and control the contrast by changing the ratio of two parts.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    I might also recommend Dave Soemarko's LC-1 developer for high contrast lith type films which I beleive was also published in Post Factory Journal.

Don't have PFJ? Then go here for his formula:

http://members.aol.com/fotodave/Articles/LC-1.html

Don Bryant
    Last edited by Shinnya; 01-24-2006 at 07:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    The magazine was published independently by Judy Segal and had 8 or 9 issues (I forget how many). Originally she sent out the first issue free of charge. I think the entire set can now be purchased from photo eye. It's a great read, eclectic and informative.

Don Bryant
    You could try alternativephotography.com

http://www.alternativephotography.co...t_factory.html

or contact Judy Seigel at jseigel@panix.com There are nine issues in the full set. It is a unique experience, and well worth the $40.00 plus very reasonable shipping (as of August, 2005)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    I teach making enlarged negatives.
    [...]
    cool. I asked about covering this in the upcoming Les McLean workshop, but I got the impression it wasn't Lee or Les' cup of tea.

Do you teach a workshop Aggie? The fam and I are overdue for a Texas to California and back Route 66 road trip. Do your new digs put you anywhere near that route?

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    cool. I asked about covering this in the upcoming Les McLean workshop, but I got the impression it wasn't Lee or Les' cup of tea.

Do you teach a workshop Aggie? The fam and I are overdue for a Texas to California and back Route 66 road trip. Do your new digs put you anywhere near that route?

-KwM-
    I will be teaching enlarged negatives this summer at Photographers Formulary in Montana. It is June 25th through the 30th.

How i got into this type of negative was out of neccessity. My son in law said to take only a 35mm camera to Venezuela, and have at most 2 lenses so I would be less of a target for theives. As it was I did get into one small altercation and punch out one would be theif. When I got home, I want to use these negatives to make Van Dyke and cyanotype prints. That was 6 years ago. The teacher taught the bare basics, and I wanted more. I read everything, experimented, worked with others that had perfected the medium, and then innovated some tricks of my own. I found that controling contrast was easy with a few tricks. I'll post a couple of photos later once I can kick hubby off the main computer that has my images stored.

If you come up 89 at Flagstaff AZ to Kanab Utah, that route will take you through Zion National park. This via Hwy 9 going West. You can then drop back down to Vegas on I-15 which will also take you direct into LA. This is actually a more scenic route than the Northern AZ route along I-40.
    Non Digital Diva

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin