Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,934   Posts: 1,557,036   Online: 1246

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

JandC Classic Ortho for enlarged negs?

Is anyone using this and getting continous tones out of it for enlarged negs?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i haven't tried the J&C variety, but have been using Arista APHS Premium Halftone Supreme Ortho Litho Film from Freestyle with wonderful results....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tpersin
    i haven't tried the J&C variety, but have been using Arista APHS Premium Halftone Supreme Ortho Litho Film from Freestyle with wonderful results....
    Could you say a little more about the "wonderful results"? I know that many people are using Litho film with diluted developers in this manner, but I haven't been able to look at the results. Are you finding that you get a decent scale of grays and smooth tones? What developer are you using and at what dilution? Are there any special procedures you are using?

As for the J&C product, I don't believe that it is available in any sizes larger than 8x10, except by special order.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

Have you tried this method?

http://www.unblinkingeye.com/Article...nlargeneg.html

I am about to make 16x20 enlarged negatives from my 8x10 negatives in this way. We will see how it goes...

Also, Dektol is not a good developer to use for this purpose though a lot people (or teachers) seem to use it. There is a great article in Post Factory issue #2 on making enlarged negatives using Arista films.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy
    Could you say a little more about the "wonderful results"? I know that many people are using Litho film with diluted developers in this manner, but I haven't been able to look at the results. Are you finding that you get a decent scale of grays and smooth tones? What developer are you using and at what dilution? Are there any special procedures you are using?

As for the J&C product, I don't believe that it is available in any sizes larger than 8x10, except by special order.
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used every brand of ortho film available. J&C is just fine and you get great results. The last batch I got of Arista 8x10 ortho film had some weird things go on with it. It had these funny bullseye marks all over the film. When this was happening, I was even in contact with Jorge, who can vouch for the problems at that time that I had. I do not know if it was just that batch or what. It is rebranded Ilford film, which is very good. I tend to think I just got a bad package.

If you watch on ebay you can sometimes get the Kodak ortho/graphic film. Since you need a flat interpositive for enlarged negs. the fogging of really out dated film is wonderful.

Bergger ortho film in my opinion is the best. It is just very expensive.

Before I get blasted for my opinions, I have done at last accounting over 800 interpositives and almost as many enlarged negs. I spent a lot of time refining the process to get very good results.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinnya
    negatives from my 8x10 negatives in this way. We will see how it goes...

Also, Dektol is not a good developer to use for this purpose though a lot people (or teachers) seem to use it. There is a great article in Post Factory issue #2 on making enlarged negatives using Arista films.
    I teach making enlarged negatives. Dektol is just fine for this purpose. You have to know the dilution for the response you want. Many do not teach that you have to dilute it down considerably for use with ortho film.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    I've used every brand of ortho film available. J&C is just fine and you get great results. The last batch I got of Arista 8x10 ortho film had some weird things go on with it. It had these funny bullseye marks all over the film. When this was happening, I was even in contact with Jorge, who can vouch for the problems at that time that I had. I do not know if it was just that batch or what. It is rebranded Ilford film, which is very good. I tend to think I just got a bad package.

If you watch on ebay you can sometimes get the Kodak ortho/graphic film. Since you need a flat interpositive for enlarged negs. the fogging of really out dated film is wonderful.

Bergger ortho film in my opinion is the best. It is just very expensive.

Before I get blasted for my opinions, I have done at last accounting over 800 interpositives and almost as many enlarged negs. I spent a lot of time refining the process to get very good results.
    The best results I had with APHS was developing with W2D2.

First I made a interpositive on FP4 developed in HC110 and then enlarged onto APHS. Stuart Melvin of Santa Fe told me that there were potetially some problems with APHS depending on the source of manufacture of the film, specifically APHS made in the US had defects while the Japanese source film was okay.

I'm not sure if this is still true now but it may be soemthing to consider if you order from Arista. That is to ask for Japanese manufactured APHS.

Using Dektol with Ortho film is an old trick which can work quite well once you dial in the dilution and development times which isn't too hard.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    The best results I had with APHS was developing with W2D2.

First I made a interpositive on FP4 developed in HC110 and then enlarged onto APHS. Stuart Melvin of Santa Fe told me that there were potetially some problems with APHS depending on the source of manufacture of the film, specifically APHS made in the US had defects while the Japanese source film was okay.

I'm not sure if this is still true now but it may be soemthing to consider if you order from Arista. That is to ask for Japanese manufactured APHS.

Using Dektol with Ortho film is an old trick which can work quite well once you dial in the dilution and development times which isn't too hard.

Don Bryant
    Best results with APHS was when I used a tray that had been a developing tray at a college for probably 20 years. They left water in the tray overnight to keep it moist. I used a tray that had the water left in it for probably 2 weeks. It absorbed enough old dektol off the sides to be absolutely perfect. What is nice is the ability to use the safe lights to watch what is happening with the development. It's Development by inspection in the best sense of the words.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    I teach making enlarged negatives. Dektol is just fine for this purpose. You have to know the dilution for the response you want. Many do not teach that you have to dilute it down considerably for use with ortho film.
    So can you give us a clue about the dilution? Inquiring minds want to know!

Btw, do you use Dektol for both the interpositive and enlarged neg? Surely other developers can be used. Why would Dektol be better? thanks...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinnya
    There is a great article in Post Factory issue #2 on making enlarged negatives using Arista films.
    Is Post Factory a magazine? I have never seen it, but I would at least like to have that issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin