Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,566   Online: 768

Shooter
    Multi Format

Is sodium dichromate light sensitive?

I've been reading about alternative processes involving dichromates, and I realize that I have large amounts of sodium dicrhomate (in the form of tray cleaner) sitting in my developer shelf. The, maybe, 1/16th of a bottle that I used for making up reversal bleach is still going after processing a 4x5 sheet, a 120 roll and 2 135 rolls of film, so I'm thinking this is going to last FOREVER.

So, my question is, can this sodium dichromate be used in alternative processes as a light sensitive agent (I know it would have to be isolated from the other chemistry in the solution, but that's another issue).

Does anyone know?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    I've been reading about alternative processes involving dichromates, and I realize that I have large amounts of sodium dicrhomate (in the form of tray cleaner) sitting in my developer shelf. The, maybe, 1/16th of a bottle that I used for making up reversal bleach is still going after processing a 4x5 sheet, a 120 roll and 2 135 rolls of film, so I'm thinking this is going to last FOREVER.

So, my question is, can this sodium dichromate be used in alternative processes as a light sensitive agent (I know it would have to be isolated from the other chemistry in the solution, but that's another issue).

Does anyone know?
    Sodium dichromate can be used as a light sensitive agent. What is the percent solution that you have? If it is a weak solution then you may not be able to get very good results.

>
    (I know it would have to be isolated from the other chemistry in the solution, but that's another issue).
    >

I'm quite confused by this comment though.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah, the sodium dichromate I have is part of the Kodak Tray Cleaner, which consists of sodium dichromate and sulphiric acid in an aqueous solution. (It is designed for cleaning trays in automatic processors, though I use it for reversal processing as a bleach). What I'm saying is that I'm not sure how the Sulphuric acid will affect the dichromate in the solution; the bleach is quite acidic so I don't know what would happen if it's mixed with, say, gum of casein for one of the alternative processies.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Ah, the sodium dichromate I have is part of the Kodak Tray Cleaner, which consists of sodium dichromate and sulphiric acid in an aqueous solution. (It is designed for cleaning trays in automatic processors, though I use it for reversal processing as a bleach). What I'm saying is that I'm not sure how the Sulphuric acid will affect the dichromate in the solution; the bleach is quite acidic so I don't know what would happen if it's mixed with, say, gum of casein for one of the alternative processies.
    That's what I thought you menat. Don't used tray cleaner for gum or casein printing. Ammonium or potassium dichromate is fairly cheap (though not equivalent in gum printing), so just purchase some of that and save the tray cleaner for trays.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably a good point, Don, however, the point was to use what I have; I have NO space for anything extra. I might as well try using what I have - can ammonium / potassium dichromate be shipped in the US? B&H won't do it ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I might as well try using what I have - can ammonium / potassium dichromate be shipped in the US? B&H won't do it ...
    Yes, but it's classified as a hazardous material and so it has to be sent ground. If you buy it from the Formulary they'll also ask that you fill out a DEA form before an order is shipped. I get my Potassium Dichromate from Bostick and Sullivan, $53/1000grams.
    Keith.
    Keith Taylor
    Platinum, Photogravure and Historic Process Editions
    Website | Weblog | Google+ | Facebook
    2011 Minnesota Center for Book Arts/Jerome Foundation Mentorship Program recipient

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In my experience, sodium dichromate does not behave very well for gum printing (but I did not test it extensively). I primarily use ammonium dichromate because it seems to have a longer scale (lower contrast) than potassium dichromate. Gum printing is inherently a fairly short scale process, so I usually prefer the longer scale of ammonium. I use potassium on later dark coats when I just want to kick the shadows a little darker.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Probably a good point, Don, however, the point was to use what I have; I have NO space for anything extra. I might as well try using what I have - can ammonium / potassium dichromate be shipped in the US? B&H won't do it ...
    Using tray cleaner for gum or caesin printing will just waste your time and materials. I can't beleive you can't find room for 100 grams of ammonium dichromate.

Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kerik:

Really like your new collodion print on your site's openning page. Very nice.

Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin