Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,321   Posts: 1,536,872   Online: 1091

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

C41 Cross Processing

Hi all, I posted a question in the B&W forum similar to this but with different emphisis...

I screwed up and processed Fuji 1600 color film thinking it was pan film. Duh!

Now what to do with these deep orange negatives? There is a fair amount of image on them, Diafine does a number on the black image of color film. There is of course, no color dye showing, so do I have them printed at the local quik print place. or should I just scan them and see what happens. I suspect they won't come out very well in a conventional darkroom.

Any cross processors have an idea?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haven't tried to enlarge cross processed C-41, though from logic and what I hear, it's difficult to get good contrast with the orange mask, as it filters our much of the light that the paper is sensitive to.

I have scanned negs. like this before, and it works fine; a little bit of Photoshop work is needed to pull them out of the orange haze, but its doable.

I believe that some of your problem may be solved if you remove the yellow mask layer from the film. I believe it is made from silver, so it may be bleached out ... not sure how to do this though ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please see my reply in the other thread.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    Haven't tried to enlarge cross processed C-41, though from logic and what I hear, it's difficult to get good contrast with the orange mask, as it filters our much of the light that the paper is sensitive to.
    It's not as bad as all that. I've never developed C-41 film in B&W developers, but I have printed Kodak's C-41 B&W film on conventional B&W paper. This film has a color mask that looks like a typical C-41 color film's mask. Sometimes I've had to kick the contrast up a notch or so (using VC paper), and exposure times are on the long side, but otherwise the film prints much like conventional B&W films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm I've heard differently. You learn something new all the time. Though you should keep in mind that the kodak b&w was developed in a standard process and the yellow filter layer was no longer present, making them much lighter.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin