Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,838   Online: 1021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Drying Pt/Pd Coated Paper

What do people do to properly dry sheets of freshly coated Pt/Pd paper? In his workshop, Dan Burkholder used a hair dryer to get the drying process started. He indicated that one can use the hair dryer too much or too little. He tries for a "satin" look to the paper, and then he stops using the hair dryer. Thereafter, let the paper dry.

I'm looking for an approach that's as consistent as possible, sheet to sheet over time. As a "hair dryer", I've been using the small ceramic heater that keeps my darkroom warm. It gives a nice volume of hot air over a large area. (Kind of like some of our politicians.)

I want to use some form of drying like this, if it makes a difference. But, I'm struck by the degree of variability this could introduce to the process. Or, is there a different way to achieve the same effect, yet avoid a potential source of variability?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use a hair dryer, but only for a minute or two and after allowing the coating to air dry for a few (around 7) minutes.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Neil,

You can be consistent to a point, but drying procedures and times will vary with ambient heat and humidity conditions and will vary from paper to paper. Some papers need more "sit" time before you apply heat or air, some need to be dried soon after they are coated so the sensitizer doesn't sink in too far. As you gain more experience, you will be able to know when your paper is dry enough simply by feel. Good luck!
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neil,

I have an old burke and james film drying cabinet that works like a charm. I set the heat to a nice low warm, close the door for 5-10 minutes and all come out nice, flat and dry.

Bill

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    Neil,

I have an old burke and james film drying cabinet that works like a charm. I set the heat to a nice low warm, close the door for 5-10 minutes and all come out nice, flat and dry.

Bill
    Bill I have not seen one of these film drying cabinets.....what is the set up, i.e. heat coil and fan or like a commercial rotary bread toaster?

thanks
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    Bill I have not seen one of these film drying cabinets.....what is the set up, i.e. heat coil and fan or like a commercial rotary bread toaster?
    Dave, It is a metal cabinet about 6.5' x 3' x 3' with a fan and coil system in the top. On the very top are slots for the replaceable air filter, underneath are baffles to stop direct air from blowing on the negatives hanging below. Underneath the rubber sealed door on the front is an exit vent for the air drawn-in at the top. Inside are rows of hangar brackets at several heights and stainless steel rods that I can adjust among them. On these rods hang my clips, etc. It is very simple, yet extremely useful. Not much problem with dust these days. You can see it way off to the left here in the darkroom portraits page.

Hope this helps,

Bill
    Last edited by bill schwab; 02-20-2006 at 01:18 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addition of link

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    thanks Bill

Duh, I did not read carefully and thought you had an old PRINT dryer...the one in your darkroom is much like the film dryer I used to use in my classroom.....I had not thought of using the film dryer to dry prints.....so you hang them by clips and they dry flat? I 'm going to have to give it a go....

thanks again
    Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For group workshops, I use a food dehydrator to dry coated paper (about 8x10 max). It has 4 trays and keeps a steady flow of warm air at about 110 degrees. Paper is ready in 2 or 3 minutes. And no, I don't use it to make beef jerky any more...

You can buy a much larger and prettier version of this kind of setup from Edwards Enterprises www.eepjon.com.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    so you hang them by clips and they dry flat? I 'm going to have to give it a go....
    Yes, when it is completely dry - flat enough to contact print. After printing and washing, I go the normal drying route and final flatten with a dry mount press. I love the look of that Edwards Engineering stuff too.

Good luck,

Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Neil - talk to Ray. Last year he and Rich were talking about print driers and Ray has a really nice one with a ceramic heater in it. We all had talked about making copies of it and it looks like something you can do with you woodworking skills.

Kirk - www.keyesphoto.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin