Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,522   Online: 1134

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

In search of heavier paper for Pt/Pd and other processes

Hi,

I am trying to make small card-like prints. I want them to be rather stiff, so now I need to find paper for this project. Does anyone have some recommendations?

Thanks as usual.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Tsuyoshi,

You may want to look at Fabrianno Artistico Extra White (or the 'traditional' artistico if you prefer warm papers). It is available in two weights, 140# and 300#. Most people use the 140# for normal prints, but the 300# paper should work as well.

You will have to acid treat the paper before you print pt/pd on it.

I'm sure there's others out there but the Artistico paper is inexpensive and fairly easy to print with, so it would be a good place to start.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael,

Thanks for your input.

I was thinking of Artistico #300 since I use #140 quite often for gum-over. I guess I would try this first.

Would there be any issues associated with using heavier paper for pt/pd in general? I was just reading an article on use of gampi paper which just made me think.

Thanks again.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    How about COT 320?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eric,

I have seen COT320, but it is not heavy enough for this project. I am looking for something like double thinkness of COT 320...

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will find the 300# Artistico is VERY hard to clear. I needed phosphoric acid to get it clear. The heavier paper just drinks up the coating solution.

For a really beautiful look with cards, check out Twinrocker Deckled edge paper in 6x8 size. Four beautiful deckled edges and nice tones and Dmax when double coated and forced-air dried between coats:

http://www.twinrockerhandmadepaper.com/pa_main.php

Be sure and specify that the paper be hot pressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinnya
    Eric,

I have seen COT320, but it is not heavy enough for this project. I am looking for something like double thinkness of COT 320...

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rives BFK. Comes in two weights. Acid free, sized, beautiful color and texture.
    Robert Hunt

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    The Twinrocker paper is very nice, but it has a lot more texture (even in hot press) than COT-320 or Platine, so it is a bit different of a look. Great paper for small print-objects.

When coating these heavy papers, make sure that you are aggressive about drying the paper as soon as the coating solution has soaked in to where the surface is no longer wet looking. The sooner you get the solution dried, the easier the paper will be to clear. Some of these thicker papers may also benefit from the addition of PVA to the solution to thicken it a bit and retard wicking.

I have seen some nice prints on matboard as well. It must be a non-buffered board, and I can't tell you what brands or lines work well, so some trial and error with a few kinds may produce a good result with that approach. It may be possible to find a 2-ply board that would meet your requirements for weight.

Another solution is to print on your normal paper, dry mount it to another sheet of the same paper and then cut it down once mounted.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone,

I will try Artistico #300 and 2 ply matboard for now. We will see how they work out. 2-ply board is about the right weight for me. I know where I can get non-buffered 2ply matboard. Or I will give OA bath to 2 ply board that I have...

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

p.s. Michael, what is PVA?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by rhphoto
    Rives BFK. Comes in two weights. Acid free, sized, beautiful color and texture.
    Rives BFK will require an oxalic acid treatment, but can print nicely after that.

Don Bryant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin