Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,470   Online: 914

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

UV light problem-Bands/stripes in my skies

I'm getting dark bands across the open skies in my prints that match the orientation of my lightbulbs when using my home made unit. Should I move my prints further away from the bulbs ? Any other ideas?
    Thanks
    Victor

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Victor,

You don't say which process you aree using but I'm curious as to whether you see the banding printed out or if it only becomes apparent in the processing trays. I've had films band when using other than flat-bottomed trays. Perhaps some alt prints could suffer from the same problem.

If it is a banding caused by the "lightbulbs" (UV fluorescent tubes or ???) , you could also try moving the tubes closer together instead of raising them relative to the printing frame.

Joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    What type of negative are you using? In camera negative or digital negative from a desktop printer?
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Thanks for the responses Joe S and Joe L (like Supermans father, right?)
    I've been printing cyanotypes using darkroom derived negatives (Bergger 18 ortho & pos/neg process) and the banding becomes apparent in the printing out stage. Moving the prints back 3/4 of an inch has helped alot with no discernable change in exposure and I'll be increasing the distance another inch or so next weekend.
    Thanks Again
    Victor

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Vic,

How far apart are you tubes?
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The problem could be the film. I experienced a problem with banding with Bergger BPF film when printing with UV processes. The bands do not show on the negative, and in fact don't scan, but when I print them with UV processes they are very prominent. This was 12X20 film developed with rotary processing in a drum. I considered the possibility that the method of development was the reason for the banding, but after a lot of thought concluded that the problem had to be in the film.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic
    Thanks for the responses Joe S and Joe L (like Supermans father, right?)
    I've been printing cyanotypes using darkroom derived negatives (Bergger 18 ortho & pos/neg process) and the banding becomes apparent in the printing out stage. Moving the prints back 3/4 of an inch has helped alot with no discernable change in exposure and I'll be increasing the distance another inch or so next weekend.
    Thanks Again
    Victor

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Thanks Kerik and Sandy; My unit was made using 4 of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...4+4233&pos=n12

Not elegant or super efficient but consistent and no problems up until now. All of bulbs are evenly spaced (1 3/4" or 2 1/4": sounds right..it's upstate now and I'm down) and the lights are now about 6 inches from the print. Here's the kicker- looking back at earlier prints of this negative that I made with a far better 'engineered' unit 'the problem' was noticeable-though far less so- because I printed it much lighter and split toned it. Couple this with the fact I noticed this issue with another Bergger BPF 18 negative and I think it comes down to Sandy's explanation-it's the Bergger film (tray processed)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin