Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,799   Online: 968

Shooter
    35mm

How to mix platinum toner?

I want to mix a toner for Kallitypes, but want to be clear I have the right solutions. This is the toner formula I would like to use.

Citric acid 5g
    Potassium chloroplatinite 20% solution 5ml
    Water 1000ml

What I am questioning, is the 20% solution, and how to mix this. Is it 10ml water plus 2g of Potassium chloroplatinite( 2g/10ml=20%)?

Another formula I found uses this:

Citric acid 5g
    Potassium chloroplatinite 0.5g
    Sodium chloride 5g
    Water 1000ml

I don't have Sodium chloride, can I use this toner formula without it?

Thanks for your help.

-Martin

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Martin...
    Just a week ago there was a long discussion on this. Check about 3/4 of the way down the Alt Process forum.

the thread is here.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/24722-how-do-you-mix-platinum-palladium-toner.html

Shooter
    35mm
    I've already read the other forum about this topic, and it didn't answer the question.

The chloroplatinite is in powder form. I have 2 grams of it. I have to make the solution by adding only water I assume. In the previous thread they talk about using 100ml of water, but doesn't this give you a 2% solution (2g/100ml= 2%)?

Wouldn't I have to mix 2 grams of chloroplatinite with 10ml of water to get a 20% solution?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes,

You will need 10 ml, not 100 ml, to make 20% solution.

Good luck.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

Quote Originally Posted by menglert
    I've already read the other forum about this topic, and it didn't answer the question.

The chloroplatinite is in powder form. I have 2 grams of it. I have to make the solution by adding only water I assume. In the previous thread they talk about using 100ml of water, but doesn't this give you a 2% solution (2g/100ml= 2%)?

Wouldn't I have to mix 2 grams of chloroplatinite with 10ml of water to get a 20% solution?
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for helping with my question.

Regards,
    Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Martin,

By the way, Pt solution is very close to saturation. Once in a while, there may be some precipitate. You will need to warm up the solution to let the salt go into the solution again.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Shooter
    35mm
    If you have table salt, you have sodium chloride.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by menglert
    What I am questioning, is the 20% solution, and how to mix this. Is it 10ml water plus 2g of Potassium chloroplatinite( 2g/10ml=20%)?
    A percent solution is not simply a matter of adding a certain volume of liquid to the weight of a material. A percent solution is the concentration of a soluble material (solute) in parts per hundred of the total solution.

To make a percent solution of anything, weigh the desired percentage amount of your soluble material and place it into your beaker or graduate. Slowly add your solvent while dissolving the soluble material and bring the total volume up to 100ml.

In other words, to make 100ml of a 20% potassium chloroplatinite solution, weigh 20g of potassium chloroplatinite, dump it into your graduate and add water while dissolving the potassium chloroplatinite bringing the total volume up to 100ml.

Weighing 2g and adding water to bring the total volume up to 10ml is what you're looking for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    If you have table salt, you have sodium chloride.
    If you have standard table salt, you have a mixture of sodium chloride, sodium or potassium iodide and silicate based dessicants along with a host of minor fillers such as starch grains.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. I'll make up the toner this week.

Regards,
    Martin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin