Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,359   Online: 723

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Question for all you Bromoilists

I'm relatively new to the Bromoil process and I need a little advice.

It seems that the biggest problem I'm running into is water streaks after each time I soak the inked matrix. The only way I've been able to get rid of them is to apply lots of ink to it and roll it out with the soft foam brayer. The problem there is it starts to look too much like a regular photograph. Any suggestions? I know experience is the best teacher, but I'm starting to run low on patience.

I'm using JandC Bromoprint paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    are you making sure that you are blotting every single drop of water off the wet print with a shop paper towel before you start inking?
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah, I've made sure of that. As I pull the matrix out of the water, that's when the streaks form and even after drying the water off, they are still there. As I'm writing this I just had an idea, could it possibly be the ink isn't stiff enough?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    which fixer are you using and at what diliton ratio?

are these occuring after you begin inking and re-wet, or right from the beginning.

perhaps Gene will drop in and shed some light on this as i know he checks in frm time to time.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Fixer? I used Ilford Rapid Fix 1:9

The streaks begin after I begin inking and then re-wetting.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    try a 10% solution of plain hypo.

and stiffer ink.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    stiffer ink seems to be helping quite a bit. I only have one matrix left, which I'm getting ready to ink up in a few minutes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Using the stiffer ink helped, then? I'm a little late getting into this, but that's what I would have suggested trying, as well. Getting the "feel" of the ink is something that takes getting used to. I've tossed a few more ruined matrices than I even care to think about.

I've been curious about using the Ilford Rapid Fix, too. I read a lot before I got started, and the one common theme was to just use plain ol' hypo crystals, as Ann was saying - so I've just stuck with that. You fix after developing the print, and fix again after the bleaching/tanning step.

I'll be interested in hearing how it works for you, as well as how you like using that paper you mentioned!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think I'm going to try plain old Hypo next go around. Like you, its all I've ever heard anyone use, but I figured since I had the rapid fix I'd just use that instead. I don't know if it makes a difference, but everyone else uses it so...

Quote Originally Posted by terri
    ...I'll be interested in hearing how it works for you, as well as how you like using that paper you mentioned!
    I don't think I can give much of a review of the paper. Pretty much everything I'm churning out right now is 1 step above crap. Give me some time and I might be able to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by t_nunn
    I think I'm going to try plain old Hypo next go around. Like you, its all I've ever heard anyone use, but I figured since I had the rapid fix I'd just use that instead. I don't know if it makes a difference, but everyone else uses it so...

I don't think I can give much of a review of the paper. Pretty much everything I'm churning out right now is 1 step above crap. Give me some time and I might be able to.
    awww....stop being like me, your own worst critic.

I've wonder, as well, about the introduction of any type of chemical compound when fixing for bromoil prints, because I like the Ilford (and had some on hand when I first started). I ordered the hypo crystals, since I tend to blindly follow the recipe, so to speak, when trying something new. If anything goes wrong I can then at least eliminate that factor.

Good luck with it! Hope you post your results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin