Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,813   Online: 1060

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Books on Kallitypes?

I am looking for a book that has extensive information on printing Kallitypes, there are quite a few Alternative Process books but I would like one that either placed emphasis on or had really detailed information on Kallitypes. Any recommendations? Thanks.
    Josh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The best book that I have seen is "Making Kallitypes: A Definitive Guide" by Dick Stevens. You won't be able to find one cheap used, by you can get a copy from the library via interlibrary loan. It has more detail than any other book on this process.

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The book with the most extensive information on making kallitypes is Dick Steven's Making Kallitypes: A Definitive Guide. Unfortunately the book is out of print and used copies appear to be going for a princely sum. There is one now on amazon for $175. Moreover, although Steven's book is great for its research, it is not a good working manual for making kallitypes. If your goal is to make good kalliytpes I would recommend the article by Russell Young in Coming into Focus, or my own articles on kallitype at unblinkingeye or at the alternative photograhy site.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by oper33
    I am looking for a book that has extensive information on printing Kallitypes, there are quite a few Alternative Process books but I would like one that either placed emphasis on or had really detailed information on Kallitypes. Any recommendations? Thanks.
    Josh
    Last edited by sanking; 03-06-2006 at 12:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definately Steven's "Making Kallitypes: A Definative Guide". I cherish my copy. More information than you would ever want to know, but it can be overkill.

My wife and I learned Kallitypes from Sandy King. He made it so easy that I now make Pallidium toned Kallitypes instead of Pt/Pd prints (much easier and cheaper - and look the same).

Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

If you really want Steven's book, check on abe.com time to time. I recently got the copy for $35 or so. It was a really good deal.

But this book is a research on Kallitype than a simply working manual. It is way too much information for those who just want to try the process.

Sandy's article on unblinkingeye and "Coming into Focus" are definitely better.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Steve,

For those intererested in kallitype we should emphasize that palladium or platinum toned kallitypes don't just look like real palladium and platinum prints. For all practical purposes they also have the same stability, assuming good processing, since in toning a high percentage of the silver metal is replaced with palladium or platinum.

Teaching carbon along with the other processes at the Formulary workshop last summer worked out much smoother than I would have imagined. So the workshop I am scheduled to do there this year has been changed from just carbon printing to Alternative Printing, and will include carbon along with kallitype, Pt./Pd. and vandyke.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by magic823
    Definately Steven's "Making Kallitypes: A Definative Guide". I cherish my copy. More information than you would ever want to know, but it can be overkill.

My wife and I learned Kallitypes from Sandy King. He made it so easy that I now make Pallidium toned Kallitypes instead of Pt/Pd prints (much easier and cheaper - and look the same).

Steve

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the info.
    Josh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin