Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,578   Online: 808

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Are wooden frames harmful to Pt/Pd prints?

Hi again,

Would you hesitate to use wooden frames for pt/pd (or any alternative processes) prints? I think simple wooden frames are warm and homely and look nice with pt/pd prints. I am tempted to do just that. Any good advice would be appreciate. Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eggshell
    Would you hesitate to use wooden frames for pt/pd (or any alternative processes) prints?
    Nope.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi again,

Would you hesitate to use wooden frames for pt/pd (or any alternative processes) prints?
    One thing common about all wood frames is that you never know what processes it has gone through such as staining, washing, etc. Most wood frames are acidic and contain sulphur which will over time change the natural state of the art work. In most cases, yellowing is most common.

Since you are framing with pt/pd, the effect of yellowing (if it happens) might look really nice and no need to worry about it.

One thing we do in conservation framing is to seal the wood frames and fillets using Lineco Frame Sealing Tape. It very easy and not expensive. The tape is aluminum and blocks out-gasing from the frame.

I am usually framing color work and conservation framing is very needed. In your case, it might be overkill.

Have Fun!!!

Shane Knight
    www.shaneknight.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Eggshell,

I frame all of my prints in wooden frames and have no problem. I was in a workshop with Dick Arentz summer of 2004 and we went to his home. All of his prints are in a beautiful blonde wooden frame color so I figured he knew something about framing. Hope that helps.

Tav Walraven

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The frames I use are only stained on the outer surfaces. The inner surfaces are bare wood. The frame sealing tape sounds like a good idea, though.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi again,

Would you hesitate to use wooden frames for pt/pd (or any alternative processes) prints? I think simple wooden frames are warm and homely and look nice with pt/pd prints. I am tempted to do just that. Any good advice would be appreciate. Thanks.
    Wood is not considered an archival material unless it is aged at certain condition. Fresh wood gives off harmful fumes but properly aged ones don't. Select your wooden frames from reputable manufacturer and ask for advice from your local conservation expert.

I, too, use wooden frames, especially for large prints (larger than 16x20).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks everyone for your advice. That's great news to me. Good day!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin