Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,654   Online: 1187

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan

Making Ferric Oxalate

Does anyone make their Ferric Oxalate, either aqueous or dry?

If so any hints about what to do or look out for?

Thanks,

Don Bryant

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I did some liquid Ferric oxalate for my platinum, when I have no more dry one.

Just have good filter and a dark place to let it pass. I once make dry onr but it really need a specific place, the iquid form is really easy to do .

I use an aerometerto know the % of ferric oxalate in the filtred solution and to get a 20% solution.
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an article in the Recent Articles and Chem Recipes on how to make your own. Check it out.

Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by magic823
    I have an article in the Recent Articles and Chem Recipes on how to make your own. Check it out.

Steve
    Interesting and informative article. Now to find the chemicals.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Don, I know Eric Nelson has one recipe on his website, another recipe is in Farber - let me know if you want a copy of it, both are liquid. I'm looking to explore kallitypes for gum over but will buy the dry stuff from B & S since the liquid has a use by date.

J
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Brewer
    Don, I know Eric Nelson has one recipe on his website, another recipe is in Farber - let me know if you want a copy of it, both are liquid. I'm looking to explore kallitypes for gum over but will buy the dry stuff from B & S since the liquid has a use by date.

J
    Thanks John,

I have copies of both. I'm also wondering if the FO can be frozen as Sandy King inquired in another post.

Also what % solution does one have when the FO is mixed in aqueois form? 27%?

There is also an article on the B&S web site for making dry FO. Either method seems like a lot of work and brings up the question, "Is making FO cost effective vs. purchasing dry FO?"

Art Craft has a bit better price on FO compared to B&S, both are equivalent products according to Mike Jacobsen at Art Craft.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Also what % solution does one have when the FO is mixed in aqueois form? 27%?
    Farber's recipe says 20%, I'm not sure about the recipe on Eric's site. I have no idea how you can test it either, a hydrometer maybe? Of course a lower dilution can easily be made to whatever percentage you want providing you know the original strength using the criss-cross method.

There is also an article on the B&S web site for making dry FO. Either method seems like a lot of work and brings up the question, "Is making FO cost effective vs. purchasing dry FO?"
    I totally agree. I've decided that when I need FO I'm gonna buy the dry version.

Art Craft has a bit better price on FO compared to B&S, both are equivalent products according to Mike Jacobsen at Art Craft.

Don Bryant
    Thanks for the heads up there Don.
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don,

That is where I usually buy it from. I just bought a pound of it... It seem to work fine.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "Is making FO cost effective vs. purchasing dry FO?"
    If you value your time, most definitely no, IMO. The quality of the B&S stuff is very good and it's very consistent. I've had mixed results with Artcraft's. B&S makes their's in-house, Artcraft is getting it from another supplier, I believe. I'm not knocking Artcraft, I'm a very happy customer of theirs. It's just that good, consistent FO is important if you want to make consistently good pt/pd prints. And compared to the other costs that go into making a print, the cost is negligible. For an 8x10 print that costs between $2 and $3 in materials, roughly 15 cents is in the ferric.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    If you value your time, most definitely no, IMO. The quality of the B&S stuff is very good and it's very consistent. I've had mixed results with Artcraft's. B&S makes their's in-house, Artcraft is getting it from another supplier, I believe. I'm not knocking Artcraft, I'm a very happy customer of theirs. It's just that good, consistent FO is important if you want to make consistently good pt/pd prints. And compared to the other costs that go into making a print, the cost is negligible. For an 8x10 print that costs between $2 and $3 in materials, roughly 15 cents is in the ferric.
    Thanks Kerik. After mulling the whole thing over I agree making FO isn't worth the effort.

Don

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin