Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,910   Online: 1134

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Polaroid Type 55 and pt/pd

Does anyone have any experience with printing Polaroid Type 55 p/n negs on pd? I tried printing one this weekend, but while I recall it printing nicely at around Grade 2 on silver paper, it was REALLY flat on pd. It also looked rather grainy by comparison to stuff that prints nicely at grade 2 on silver paper done with FP4+. Is there some trick to shooting/processing Type 55 for Pd, or should I just pick a different neg?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best way to get the contrast increase you need for quality pt/pd prints is to bleach and redevelop the negative in either a staining developer like pyro or pyrocat, or alternatively, redevelop in a fresh thiocarbamide sepia redeveloper. Either of these solutions will add actinic density to the highlight areas of your negative and give you a contrast boost. Mostly likely the cause of your graininess is the amount of contrast agent you had to add to the print sensitizer solution to print on such a flat negative.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The first print I did with this negative was with NO additional contrast agent - just FeOx 1 and Pd 3. I tried a second print with 3 drops FeOx1, 1 drop FeOx2, and 5 drops Pd 3. I gave it reduced exposure time as well. It was defintiely contrastier, not significantly grainier, and a bit lighter overall.

Clay - if you have more precise directions on how to bleach/redevelop a negative, I'd love to see them. PM me with it or post it here if you're feeling generous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clay
    ...the cause of your graininess is the amount of contrast agent you had to add to the print sensitizer solution to print on such a flat negative.
    I had a lot of this printing old T55 negs with Platinum, but with the Na2 process of contrast control I have had some great luck with those older flat negs without having to go to bleaching and redevelopment. Just a thought to perhaps save you some steps.

Bill

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin