Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,683   Online: 1129

Shooter
    Large Format

A visit to Bostick and Sullivan

For me the vast majority of my equipment and supplies are bought from eBay or internet sites, and I have very little personal interaction with the sellers other than a brief email or telephone interaction.

Last week, while visiting friends in Albuquerque, I made a day trip up to Santa Fe to wander a few galleries and pick up some paper and other sundries from Bostick and Sullivan. My wife, 9 month old daughter, and I walked into Bostick and Sullivan at noon, expecting a brief, over-the-counter purchase. We walked out two hours later, very pleased to have gotten to know some of the Bostick-Sullivan clan.

Our first sign that we were in the right place was the children's toys scattered all over the lobby. Now I am not one to tout "family values", but there something wonderful to realize that there still are small family-run businesses. Mina, the nine-month-old, was quickly passed to (Richard) Sullivan and then to (Melody) Bostick while we spoke with Richard and Melody about traveling, parenting, the gallery scene, and who we should be contacting in Mexico. Later, as Mina and a 10 month-old Bostick-Sullivan tried to gnaw on each other, I had a great discussion with Kevin Sullivan about digital negs and POP prints. We walked out feeling like we had just spent a few hours in somebody's living-room.

It is nice to know that the stores we buy from are not only stocked with "real" film and paper, but also run by real people. I look forward to my next visit to Santa Fe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can 2nd your thoughts...a couple of years ago, while visiting SF on vacation, dropped in on B&S and Kevin was more than kind to indulge my questions, show me many, many prints from different alt processes and to make me feel quite at home. Melody showed me some work someone had sent to her and by the time I left, I knew these were the people I would purchase many supplies from.

Yep...real people, my kind of people...Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've had the same experiance with these guys. They are great! "The little place with big doors". Between Kevin (B/S}and our Jorge I got all the help I could ask for.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kevin is a good friend of mine. He is always fun to be around as are his parents whom I see probably once a week. Good people.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin