Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,438   Online: 1002

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    OK !

Thanks Michael !
    (I return to your site...)

Pierre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Micheal,

How do you find this out?

I was also a bit overwhelmed with the choices out there. That would simplify things for me.

I can just go to manufactures' website to find this out?

Thanks,
    Tsuyoshi

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky
    One way to reduce the color choices a bit is to only use pure pigment colors, rather than pigment blends. That will take 2/3 of some manufacturer's paints out of the equation, and since they are all blends, you could achieve the same effect with the same component pigments.
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinnya
    Micheal,

How do you find this out?

I was also a bit overwhelmed with the choices out there. That would simplify things for me.

I can just go to manufactures' website to find this out?

Thanks,
    Tsuyoshi
    Tsuyoshi,

You can check the manufacturer's literature, and you can look on the back of the tubes as well, but that can be somewhat hard at times, and not all the manufacturers have decent literature.

Also, gum printing is somewhat of a crossover process, and the knowledge of paint is truely outside the realm of knowledge most photogrphers have. To bone up on this, I recommend this site:

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/water.html

There's more there than you can possibly imagine. That site lists paints by color and brand, and indicates the makeup of the paints as well. There's also color theory, paint background information, and much, much more. It's a great reference and starting point for learning about the pigments used in the paints, and I recommend everyone interested in the process to do some reading on that site.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The whole idea of gum over platinum or paladium is intriquing to me. When 100% gum prints can look so great, why use an expensive process like platinum as a foundation? I realize that many notable photographers have done so. I'd be interested to hear what you all think the combination accomplishes as opposed to the alternative of multiple applications of gum.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gum over platinum has a different look than pure gum. Plus, pt/pd printing is quite economical, despite rumors to the contrary. If you take into account the labor to produce a 1 or 2 layer gum over pt/pd compared to a mutilple coat gum (say 3 or more layers - some gum printers use many coats), gum over platinum is cheaper if you place any value on your time. Below is an example of the same negative printed as gumover pt/pd and 100% multi-coat gum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gum28.jpg   gum27.jpg  
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin