Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 717

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Lith and Ilford MG Fibre Warmtone

I am hoping that this is the correct forum - I am not sure whether Lith is considered an alternative process or not!

For quite some time now I have been using Agfa Classic in Fotospeed LD20 with good results. With the demise of Agfa I am now looking for a replacement paper that will be available in non-metropolitan areas of Australia (not an easy ask). I am able to obtain Ilford FB warmtone easily and use it generally for my non-Lith purposes. I have read that this paper responds to Lith developers BUT have not been able to get this myself (I get a very pasty, low contrast result). Has anyone had more success with this combination than me (i.e., LD20+Ilford FB WT)? If so, can you provide any insights (for Lith I generally use 3 times the exposure needed to develop this paper in Neutol WA [fortunately I have 6 bottles of this for non-Lith stuff at the moment]).

One paper I can get (but not easily) is Tetenal Art Museum. Does anyone know whether this paper will "Lith" or not.

Thanks for any help offered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Reading Tim Rudman's Master Lith XYZ, MG WT does lith in a slightly unorhtodox way if and only if the dev is about 40+ degs C I recall. Tim says it has a particular look and is not for everything, but some of the results he showed were wonderful. Try it hot.

Look out for Kentmere papers as many lith as well as Oriental seagul, Fotospeed Legacy I hear does, Forte PWT/Fortezo etc.

Tom

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Tetenal Art Museum could be any one of a number of papers. I know it was Agfa for a while, and some has been Ilford.

If you have any chance of getting hole of Fortezo Museum, that is a wonderful paper both for lith and "ordinary" work.

Ilford's papers are wonderfully stable and predictable, meaning that they give the same results in a wide range of different developers. Just what you want for a consistent body of work, but exactly what you don't want for lith printing.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Ilford Warm tone is a lith paper that is high on my list
    It will give you a very nice green/yellow antique looking print.

The problem you are having with it is the pull time.
    The contrast accelerates in the fix not the developer. I found this out by mistake.

Try pulling the print way early.. the trick is to watch for the faintest sign of black emerging.

Good Luck

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Thanks

Thankyou to everyone who responded to my questions. I think I now have a few options to follow up on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    Ilford Warm tone is a lith paper that is high on my list
    It will give you a very nice green/yellow antique looking print.

The problem you are having with it is the pull time.
    The contrast accelerates in the fix not the developer. I found this out by mistake.

Try pulling the print way early.. the trick is to watch for the faintest sign of black emerging.[I][U]
    Good Luck
    Please excuse what might appear as a dumb question but are you speaking of pulling from the developer or the fix way early?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't help with the Ilford papers but if you're able to source the Fotospeed lith developer you can probably source Fotospeed Lith paper as well. Fotospeed Impressions and Fotospeed Classic also respond well to lith developers.

Roger.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Lith and Ilford MG Fibre Warmtone

You might consider Paterson Acugrade. Not a fibre based paper, but in my limited lith experience very responsive to Lith techniques and to toning (blue in gold toner, sepia in selenium. Vanbar in Camperdown usually have it in 8x10x25 sheets and 12x16x10 sheets.

Regards - Ross
    Springwood NSW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kentmere's Kentona (will react to lith developer) was marketed by Tetenal under the name "Art Sepia". If you can get your hands on a packet of this, it'll be OK.

Pulling out of the daveloper is what Bob means, I guess. The idea is that the blacks should not be developed to the desirable point, for they will darken once the print is in the fixer. I can add that some papers change (shift in colour, darken) when drying, especially if they are toned after lith processing. Read the Rudman book, it's great...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou
    Pulling out of the daveloper is what Bob means, I guess. The idea is that the blacks should not be developed to the desirable point, for they will darken once the print is in the fixer. I can add that some papers change (shift in colour, darken) when drying, especially if they are toned after lith processing. Read the Rudman book, it's great...
    Thank you George.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin