Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,636   Online: 872

Thread: Van Dyke it is

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Van Dyke it is

I decided to start out with VDB rather than kallitype, to make it easier on myself.

Question: must the prints be developed immediately after exposure, or can it wait a few hours?

Wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wayne -

I am trying to learn the VDB process. My experience so far is that you definitely want to process immediately.

I have found that the process is rather erratic - so much so that I can't depend on getting a good print each time. Therefore, I need to process each print before deciding what I need to change before I attempt the next print.

My practice has been to coat several sheets of paper early in the morning, and then go back for a second application late morning. That gives me several hours for the paper to dry thoroughly before I start printing/processing in the afternoon.

I have also found that the process is VERY sensitive to the paper being using, and switching papers makes a really big difference in the quality of the final image. I initially started with relatively smooth water pads, then bristol illustration paper, and finally hot press mould-made watercolor sheets. I'll know better in a couple of hours how that works.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thing is, I am using the sun for the time being and I cant do the processing until evening. So I'd like to expose at 4-5 pm and develop at about 7.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's - - - a problem.

I've heard that it's possible to keep sensitized paper for a day or so. In that case, it should also be possible to defer processing. On the other hand, the experience I had with cyanotype many years ago was that the sensitized paper would gradually "self process" over time, and if I didn't expose it an print on it within a few hours, it would gradually fog.

But - - given your constraints - I guess that thing to do is try it and see what happens.

By the way - some feedback on this afternoon's printing session - I coated five small sheets of paper this morning (Arches HP watercolor paper) - I was generally quite pleased with the way it printed, but I found that it was much slower than the last paper I experimented with. So be it - that's a variable.

Of course, the best print happens to be on the sheet that has the watermark - and until it dries I won't know whether it will be a "keeper". I like to mask my negatives to eliminate that dark border, and on two sheets the negative had slipped against the mask (a sheet of black plastic), leaving a very narrow black line on one edge of the image. One sheet has a distinct printing flaw - fortunately, I think I caused that by being lazy and trying to squeeze two sheets into my contact frame at one time. And then there is the one sheet that I printed with a different negative - the negative that includes the clock face in the scene - and that I inadvertantly printed backwards.

Oh well, it's a learning process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    VDB coated paper will self develop even if left in the dark too long.

I have found sheets that I've coated hidden in drawers weeks to months after they'd been coated, and they had all started to fog significantly.

FWIW....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After working out my exposure/development formula, to make multiple prints I coat multiple sheets of paper, let them all dry, then expose all of them, then develop all of them. Each process probably takes a couple of hours, so I'd say yes, you can expose VDB then develop a few (but only a few) hours later.
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I did my first VDB last night, and it sat for 2.5 hours before developing. Unfortunately I didnt look closely enough at it when I pulled it from the frame and stuck it in a dark box, so I couldnt say if anything happened between then and development. I will say that for my first VDB I was pretty impressed with my skill. It looked like my exposure was pretty good for the first tme (10 minutes in sun), and I loved the medium brown color. Until, of course, it dried, and now its way too dark and I dont care for the color nearly as much either. I guess you havent seen drydown until you've seen VDB drydown, huh? Live and learn, it certainly could have been much worse.

Could I stick it back in the fix to lighten it, if I were so inclined? (and I'm not sure I am...)

Wayne

Shooter
    Large Format

Difrent Paper

I found that using other papers makes a big difrence in albumen printing. The Strathmore 500 prints much slower than Southworth 4 star 25% cotton ledger paper. Although its only 25%cotton it still has a superior printing capability, it is thin like any index paper and has somewhat poor wet strength and dries kind of rumpply.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Cranes Kid Finish Ecru White is the best i've found.. Strathmore 500 drawing (or is it 400?) doesn't work so well, but it's great with cyanotypes.

I like using a drop of glycerin with the sensitizer, brushing it on with a flat damp watercolor brush. Seems to help with some papers, but the Crane's doesn't need it so much.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin