Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,864   Online: 1006

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Mimosa Glass plates

I just happpen to have acquired some Mimosa 'panchroma-studio-antihalo' glass plates - sealed. I am keen to try one or two of these as i have the camera and the holder. Would welcome any exposure and developing info that may help. Of course, i do realise that the things mayj ust be over the top as they are old.
    many thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So, seeing I hadn't got any info and on these Mimosa plates plus I was iching to try these, I used my old FDK LF Beast with greaseproof paper as the ground glass - since I have none, rated the plate at 25 asa, expsosed for 2.5 min f16 and developed in 1:25 Rodinal and you know what?

I have a nice image !!! And I am so pleased. Not brilliant artistically or techinically as it happens but an image. A real one :-)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/schlapp/120215725/

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlapp
    So, seeing I hadn't got any info and on these Mimosa plates plus I was iching to try these, I used my old FDK LF Beast with greaseproof paper as the ground glass - since I have none, rated the plate at 25 asa, expsosed for 2.5 min f16 and developed in 1:25 Rodinal and you know what?
    I have a nice image !!! And I am so pleased. Not brilliant artistically or techinically as it happens but an image. A real one :-)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/schlapp/120215725/

It looks pretty good to me. How old do you think the plates are?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    cool

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No idea how old they might be. Could not find any info. Have 11 more :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    well Congratulations, and Good job!! Think the exposure looks pretty darn on the money...good guess and nice looking glass negative.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, wicked!

Did a search but only came up with a few isolated mentions of Mimosa Gmbh in Kiel.... Magic that it should come out so well after all this time! Unopened Ilford plates come up on UK ebay from time to time but I always assumed they would be well dead... Who knows now?!....

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Astounding!

Bet "photographic plates" will take a leap in search results on Ebay...

It's like a time machine; the men and women who made those plates are no doubt dead now, but they live on in the emulsion.

Wonder if I will leave anything behind that will evoke such wonder?

Good job!

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino
    the men and women who made those plates are no doubt dead now
    I wouldn't necessarily think so. Glass plates were still pretty common into the 1970s, and were still available *from Kodak* until 2002 (T-Max 100, 4x5 size only -- marketed for scientific imaging where flatness and dimensional stability were paramount). And the Slavich factory (in Ukraine?) is still making them in 9x12 size, though they're about eight bucks a plate by the time they get to Retro Photo in England, and shipping on top of that (shipping to the US is likely to be ugly, too).

I found a reference to Mimosa plates used in microphotography (aka microfilming), from a 1962 UNESCO publication; that's probably the one you found as well. I also saw a reference to a Mimosa print-out paper, likely from the same maker.

Yes, they might well be gone -- but there are still a fair number of folks around, even on the Internet, who were working adults in the late 1950s...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    35mm
    I can remember seeing adverts for Mimosa films (rather than plates) back in the 1950's, probably in one of the photography magazines that my Dad used to buy at the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin