Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,654   Online: 1132

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Contrast Control with Cyanotype

I tried making a print yesterday in cyanotype. The neg is an 8x10 neg that was developed for pt/pd printing. When I printed it in Cyanotype, my highlights were WAY blown out when I had reached good dmax on my borders, and the shadow areas were starting to block up. Is there some way I can alter the contrast in the cyanotype print, or do I have to make my negs for it specifically?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you happen to use pyro-base developer for the negative?

My understanding is that Cyanotype will require more contrast than Pt/Pd...

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes- it was a pyro developer for the neg. The print I made had TOO much contrast...
    my shadows were already starting to block up while my highlights were detail-less and badly blown out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that is why. Negatives developed with pyro do not work with Cyanotype.

It is not that I have tried a lot, but mine did not work at all, and could not figure out why. Later, Sam Wang mentioned that they do not on alt-mailing-list.

I guess you need to make negatives again.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    Yes- it was a pyro developer for the neg. The print I made had TOO much contrast...
    my shadows were already starting to block up while my highlights were detail-less and badly blown out.
    You maybe SOL on this one. The only thing I can think of is to add 40% citric acid to the sensitizer before coating. Add 1 to 2 drops for every 2 ml of solution. You may also wish to couple this with development in a 2% solution of citric acid.

You can also develop in a 1:5 dilution of white vinegar. Dump the solution after every print to avoid highlight staining. This will probably increase your exposure time. Also consider coating with 2 parts A to 1 part B.

You didn't mention what paper you are using.Different papers have different scales.

My 2 cents,
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinnya
    Negatives developed with pyro do not work with Cyanotype.
    Tsuyoshi
    Not true. However overly stained negatives are to be avoided for all UV based processes.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinnya
    I think that is why. Negatives developed with pyro do not work with Cyanotype.

It is not that I have tried a lot, but mine did not work at all, and could not figure out why. Later, Sam Wang mentioned that they do not on alt-mailing-list.

I guess you need to make negatives again.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    Well, Sam Wang is a good friend and colleague, and one of the best cyanotype printers in the world, but it is not correct that pyro negatives do not work with cyanotype.

The issues are these. 1) Cyanotype is a very slow process, certainly the slowest of all of the popular altlernative processes. Typically, exposures take at least twice as long with cyanotype as with vandyke. So even if you print with traditional negatives exposures will be very long. And 2) the stain, especially if there is any over-expousure or if the film has a high B+F from age or heat, will add even more time to the exposure, perhaps doubling it.

So, bottom line is that pryo negatives will make great cyanotype prints, but exposure times could be very long.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am also busying myself with some cyanotypes right now, so this is how far my knowledge goes:

Pyro negs perfectly work, but, as Syndy stated, take long.

It is, as far as I know, not possible to print with traditional cyanotype a tonal scale as long as with pt/pd. You have to overprint, highlights get washed away. For long-scale negs therefore Mike Ware's New Cyanotype process is perfectly suited. (It also gives much shorter exposure times, and has better contrast control)

As for contrast control: printing on acidified paper (1% acetic, oxalic) enhances the tonal scale (and gives deeper blues), as does an acid first rinse. Double coating seems to give somewhat more contrast in the highlights, adding tween 20 helps the emulsion to stick on paper. Finally, paper choice: some papers seem to keep more steps than others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone,

I will try much longer time with those negatives.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For my first foray into Cyanotypes I was using Arches Platine. I have some socorro and some COT 320 to try as well...

To reiterate, I was having no problem achieving a good dense dmax. To get detail in the highlights and not have acres of paper white showing in the white area of the image, I was getting blocked up shadows that were going too dark and losing detail.

I'm using the B&S Cyanotype kit. Where can I get the Mike Ware kit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin