Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,708   Online: 1050
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    buggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    100
    Images
    8

    Paper coating question

    I have seen many good prints and I especially like it when the image has somewhat of a border around the image with some brush marks. I was wondering how you guys mark the paper to coat. Do you put a pencil mark at each corner of the negative? Do you mask off an area and coat everything inside the mask? Do you pencil mark the edges of the paper?

    Any good suggestions?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    scootermm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    1,867
    Images
    235
    Yeah using a normal #2 pencil. I use a sheet of the paper that goes between each piece of sheet film in the film boxes. Its a good easy way to mark up the area to be coated. just four small marks in the corners suffices just fine usually.

    hope that helps

  3. #3
    TheFlyingCamera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Washington DC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    8,431
    Blog Entries
    51
    Images
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    Yeah using a normal #2 pencil. I use a sheet of the paper that goes between each piece of sheet film in the film boxes. Its a good easy way to mark up the area to be coated. just four small marks in the corners suffices just fine usually.

    hope that helps
    What he said. Just enough of a mark to be able to re-position the negative when the coating is dry, and to see where to coat when applying the emulsion. With most processes, the finished exposed print has dark enough borders that you can't see the pencil marks anymore.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by buggy
    I have seen many good prints and I especially like it when the image has somewhat of a border around the image with some brush marks. I was wondering how you guys mark the paper to coat. Do you put a pencil mark at each corner of the negative? Do you mask off an area and coat everything inside the mask? Do you pencil mark the edges of the paper?

    Any good suggestions?

    Thanks.
    I mask off the area to be coated with 3" wide paper painter's tape. The tape realeases easily from the paper after the coating is brushed on.

    I mask my negatives in such a way that a black border (or one the same color as the shadows of the print) about 0.2" wide is printed around the edges of the print.

    Sandy

  5. #5
    buggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    100
    Images
    8
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses.

  6. #6
    donbga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    I mask off the area to be coated with 3" wide paper painter's tape. The tape realeases easily from the paper after the coating is brushed on.

    I mask my negatives in such a way that a black border (or one the same color as the shadows of the print) about 0.2" wide is printed around the edges of the print.

    Sandy
    I've used the method that Sandy describes too and it does work well. I will caution you not to press the tape adhesive down with a boning tool. I did this once and as a result when the tape was removed the paper came with it.
    Don Bryant

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    I've used the method that Sandy describes too and it does work well. I will caution you not to press the tape adhesive down with a boning tool. I did this once and as a result when the tape was removed the paper came with it.
    Don,

    I press the tape down quite firmly with my fingers and it always releases quite easily. What is a boning tool? Not familiar with that kind of instrument.

    Sandy

  8. #8
    donbga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Don,

    I press the tape down quite firmly with my fingers and it always releases quite easily. What is a boning tool? Not familiar with that kind of instrument.

    Sandy
    A boning tool is commonly used in book making and matt cutting. Simply put it is a slightly curved piece of plastic with a softly rounded point. With it you can make a crisp crease in paper or smooth surfaces with a stroking motion. It also allows you to place a lot of pressure on a small area during the stroke. When I did this I though I hadn't put too much pressure on the tape, but as it turned out it was just too much.

    There are several different shaped boning tools, I'll see if I can find a link to post that has an illustration of the tool.
    Don Bryant

  9. #9
    donbga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Don,

    I press the tape down quite firmly with my fingers and it always releases quite easily. What is a boning tool? Not familiar with that kind of instrument.

    Sandy
    Okay here is a link.

    http://www.artpaper.com/booksupply.html

    Scroll down towards the middle of the page. A picture of boning tools is shown on the right side of the page .
    Don Bryant

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Okay here is a link.

    http://www.artpaper.com/booksupply.html

    Scroll down towards the middle of the page. A picture of boning tools is shown on the right side of the page .
    Thanks Don. Now I remember having seen these tools somewhere before.

    Sandy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin