Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,747   Online: 838

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's pretty useless to continue conversation with Ron Mowrey on this issue, where he didn't specify the halide composition but just telling me incorrect. The reduction potential needed to fog a grain depends on the halide composition. If you used grains with no chloride component, the emulsion may not be fogged with most impurites in the paper, as I indicated before.

It is also evident from the history of photographic industry that most photographic manufacturers had issues with paper mills who supplied the raw paper stock, because they were unwilling to meet the requirement to reduce or eliminate fog-inducing agents that are used to destroy lignin in cellulose stock.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well you see I wasn't putting this on paper, but on a ceramic brain and teeth that had been polyurethaned over and had sat for about two weeks. But I did put it on paper to test to see if it was fog. I've only used it twice so I doubt it was my frequent reheating that caused the problem. Perhaps I will at least tell the store so noone else who purchases it will run into the same problems. If indeed it was a problem with store storage. Thanks everyone,
    Erin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Erin;

These emulsions are sensitive to heat and light. They sit on dealers shelves for a long time when they really should be refrigerated. That is why there are so many problems with them.

Ryuji;

I have coated AgCl, AgCl/Br, AgCl/I, AgBr, and AgBr/I. I have posted all of this in the past on both APUG and PN. In fact, in a similar thread some time back, we had this same discussion, and we also had it on the phone.

I am fully aware of what all problems there were in the photo industry regarding papers, but none of the tests ever included heating an emulsion with paper in it.

I think its time that we saw some of your results, since you keep hammering away at mine. Lets see what you have done before you make any more posts criticizing my results or comments. I'm sure you have some fine prints to show for all of your hours of work making and coating emulsions. It would be nice of you to share them with us.

Thanks.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    I am fully aware of what all problems there were in the photo industry regarding papers, but none of the tests ever included heating an emulsion with paper in it.
    ALL of the problems? Quite a confidence??

I think its time that we saw some of your results, since you keep hammering away at mine. Lets see what you have done before you make any more posts criticizing my results or comments. I'm sure you have some fine prints to show for all of your hours of work making and coating emulsions. It would be nice of you to share them with us.
    Ron, I gave you a few of my formulae and I also supplied additional information regarding phthalated gelatin, etc. I also gave you links to scans of prints I made with some of very simple emulsions. Of course, I am still distributing emulsion recipes in PDF form, free of charge, to anyone who wants to learn how to make emulsions. Some people, who I never met, followed my recipe and made a successful emulsion within a week, and sent me a link of his scans.

I have made many more modern emulsions. They are generally core-shell structures involving at least 3 layers, and selectively doped. I'm willing to provide details of these emulsions but last time you talked (before your level of nonsense exceeded my tolerance threshold) you had no interest in modern emulsions. Of course, if anyone is interested in doing these, I am happy to share the info. Indeed, I've started to put more of these info on web site for everyone to access, free of charge.

I've given instruction on how to make emulsions to a few people in New England (I'm located in Boston, MA) and most people are satisfied to know that emulsion can be made, without wishing to have their own emulsion making setup. More than half of people who contacted me are initially interested because of high price of liquid emulsion products. I have to tell them that if you make it it'll cost just as much, if not more. But if anyone is interested, I can arrange a meeting for an actual making demo, but actual making takes one hour (and high tech ones many hours) so we'll be stuck in darkroom for that long.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji
    ALL of the problems? Quite a confidence??

Ron, I gave you a few of my formulae and I also supplied additional information regarding phthalated gelatin, etc. I also gave you links to scans of prints I made with some of very simple emulsions. Of course, I am still distributing emulsion recipes in PDF form, free of charge, to anyone who wants to learn how to make emulsions. Some people, who I never met, followed my recipe and made a successful emulsion within a week, and sent me a link of his scans.

I have made many more modern emulsions. They are generally core-shell structures involving at least 3 layers, and selectively doped. I'm willing to provide details of these emulsions but last time you talked (before your level of nonsense exceeded my tolerance threshold) you had no interest in modern emulsions. Of course, if anyone is interested in doing these, I am happy to share the info. Indeed, I've started to put more of these info on web site for everyone to access, free of charge.

I've given instruction on how to make emulsions to a few people in New England (I'm located in Boston, MA) and most people are satisfied to know that emulsion can be made, without wishing to have their own emulsion making setup. More than half of people who contacted me are initially interested because of high price of liquid emulsion products. I have to tell them that if you make it it'll cost just as much, if not more. But if anyone is interested, I can arrange a meeting for an actual making demo, but actual making takes one hour (and high tech ones many hours) so we'll be stuck in darkroom for that long.
    Ryuji, you have made an almost identical post here before. Thank you for repeating it though.

Don't keep telling us about things, please post some of your pictures so that we may all share them. It is one thing to wantonly criticize, it is another to constructively criticize with data. It wouild be most helpful if we could communicate without acrimony, but you seem to want to continue the argument. I have seen exactly one formula and one print of yours. The formula is very similar to one published by Jim Browning. I have mentioned that before.

I don't wish to continue this argument.

I want to present simple, easy to make emulsions that are easy to repeat and can be coated on available papers. I have achieved that. I have demonstrated it and my coating method to others here. I am preparing to teach it. I hope you have the opportunity to do the same.

I don't want people to have to learn organic or physical chemistry to make phthalated gelatin or an emulsion. Most members here could care less about the chemistry, they want results.

I wish you all the best.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    However constructive in providing my information and experience in the past, you very often told me I'm wrong, when it's evident that I'm not. You did the same to some others, as well. That's why I don't want to share much information with you any more. You claim you have all the secrets from Eastman Kodak and now you are charging a lot of money to offer workshops, but anyone who knows emulsion chemistry can tell that many of your posts are distorting the fact to accomodate your contentions. I'm not interested in dissipating in such a fight, nor will I approve your nonsense.

Anyway, the thread is far from where we started with Erin's problem. I'll close this thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Erin;

My apologies. Sorry that it came to this. It seems that when I ask for Ryuji to post some sample prints, he suddenly vanishes.

He also criticizes the cost of my workshops when I have nothing to do with the fee. He is free to set his own up if he wishes.

I stand by my comment that the paper is not likely to be the source of your problem. I will be glad to work with you to resolve the fog problem.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format

ADOLUX

J&C's ADOLUX is an excellent product at a very reasonable price. I've re-heated the container several times until entirely used and have not noticed any fog. I do keep my stock in the refrigerator.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

fogged liquid light

I had the same problem with a bottle of liquid light that's expiry was listed as 2007. I bought it from a shop in Montreal called "Photo Service", I called them and found their customer service was the poorest I've ever encountered, and ended up disconnecting the call with them. Then I called Rockland directly and they were completely surprised the bottle was fogged, they said they rarely receive complaints, would test the batch and promptly shipped me a new bottle within 1 week, which works great.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    wow that was really nice of them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin