Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,745   Online: 1105

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Would this be good for alt process exposing?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't know about the second one, but the first one is certainly viable. the 26K1 model is very popular for alt-process folks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    I don't know about the second one, but the first one is certainly viable. the 26K1 model is very popular for alt-process folks.
    Both are good units for alternative printing. Be sure to inquire about cost of shipping. These units have substantial weight and are easily damaged. If at all possible I would advise buying in your geographic area and do your own pick-up, or have the seller deliver it if possible.

Sandy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Are you planning on driving to Colorado to pick up the big one? Shipping would be $$$$... Kinda' cuts down on the deal if you have to pay to ship it, but a good deal if you don't mind the road trip.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought an Elation UV lamp - a lot smaller, lighter and for the money, it's pretty good so far for the 2.25s and 4x5s I've been making. Plus it uses easy to find UV bulbs.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...oogle&ct=title

I dunno, but I think that humungous plate burner is not very value added. Mind you, I'm a newbie to alt processing.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want an affordable alternative to those plate burners, go to Home Depot. They sell pre-configured fluorescent fixtures with BLB blacklight bulbs. The fixture is made by GE. The bulbs are about 18" long. The fixture with bulb costs about $15 each. Get six of them, plus a surge-protector strip that can handle six outlets. You're in to that set up for about $150. Screw the six BLB fixtures into the bottom of a shelf, line them up as tight together as you can get them. Use the shelf below the one you attached the fixtures to as your exposure area. You'll have plenty of space between the fixtures for cooling, and enough illuminated area to make 11x14 prints or even larger, depending on configuration. Your only other expense is a good contact printing frame, which will set you back about $100 depending on size and manufacturer. I recommend the Bostick & Sullivan frames.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Home Depot setup

I've seen those pre-rigged blacklight sets at the Depot, but I just figured they wouldn't have enough output to be usable for alt-proc. How long are your exposures for Pt/Pd with this set-up?
    I'm getting frustrated using the sun. Just when I think I have things worked out, it's too late in the day to get decent UV. Also, I've bought an 8x10 enlarger, so I won't have a lot of cash to spend on a UV source.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Schultz
    I've seen those pre-rigged blacklight sets at the Depot, but I just figured they wouldn't have enough output to be usable for alt-proc. How long are your exposures for Pt/Pd with this set-up?
    I'm getting frustrated using the sun. Just when I think I have things worked out, it's too late in the day to get decent UV. Also, I've bought an 8x10 enlarger, so I won't have a lot of cash to spend on a UV source.
    My exposure times for Pt/Pd prints are around 7 1/2 minutes. If I enclosed the tube set in some kind of box painted white on the inside, I could probably knock another minute or two off my printing times. You can see some examples in my personal gallery here done with this setup. It works quite well. I hooked the surge strip up to a spare darkroom timer and use that for controlling the exposures. The tubes are about 4" from the top of the print frame when I use this setup for exposing Pt/Pd.

Images
    FLyingcamera, What print size are you doing this with.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin