Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,737   Online: 766

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Gustave Le Gray's Paper Negatives

Hi,

Could anyone point me to resources of making paper negatives in general as well as Le Grey's technological achievement in regard to paper negatives?

Any lead would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    Last edited by Shinnya; 04-16-2006 at 12:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just tried "paper negative" on Google and got a huge number of hits. I only looked at one of them, an article by Peter Marshal[color=#008000][size=-1]

[/size][size=-1]http://photography.about.com/library.../aa051302a.htm

[color=Black]
    Looks interesting. I think I'll give it a try.

Dan
    [/color][/size][/color]
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alan Greene's "Primitive Photography"; can be had from amazon.com

K.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Basically, a paper negative is made by coating a light sensitive material on paper and exposing it in-camera. You get an image that is a negative and is improperly reversed with respect to a normal negative.

This paper can then be scanned, reversed, and inverted to get a positive image for printing. Another method is to oil the paper itself, rendering it partially transparent and then you can print through it onto another piece of paper. This is tricky to do as you must not affect the print material. Another method is to use a very translucent or thin paper for the coating. This too is very difficult due to the thinness of the paper you are coating on. Usually, this latter is done by dipping one surface of the paper into a tray of emulsion.

Throughout, you must remember that you will gain 2 - 3 stops in speed from the emulsion when coated on paper, as compared to the same emulsion coated on glass or film support, due to back reflection from the paper.

Results vary from paper to paper. I have gotten as low as ISO 6 and as high as ISO 200 from my emulsions when making paper negatives.

PE

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Tsuyoshi,

I don't know if you read french or if it can help you, here is Le Gray's text of the "Traité pratique de photographie sur papier et sur verre" on one of the sites of the Bibliothèque Nationale de France (French national library). Other old photographic books here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jimmy,

I wish I could understand French...

I know he was the one who used the wax to make the paper more translucent. There was something about the way he applied the wax which made his negatives more technically superior than what other people were using back then. Sharpness was one thing, I think

I just cannot remember exact story and where I read it... I really want to find out how he did it. Does the text say anything about it? Thanks everyone.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

p.s.: Yes, it is Le Gray, not Le Grey...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Peguet
    Tsuyoshi,

I don't know if you read french or if it can help you, here is Le Gray's text of the "Traité pratique de photographie sur papier et sur verre" on one of the sites of the Bibliothèque Nationale de France (French national library). Other old photographic books here.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinnya
    Hi,

Could anyone point me to resources of making paper negatives in general as well as Le Grey's technological achievement in regard to paper negatives?

Any lead would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    Tsuyoshi,

A freind of mine here in Atlanta, Jan Kapoor, has written an article about making paper negatives that you may wish to read.

http://www.alternativephotography.co...es/art040.html
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Ooops, I forgot the URL : http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/Visualiseu...a&O=NUMM-88781

I'm going to read it again.

Later : text on wax begins on page 16 if somebody can translate it for you, it's a bit difficult for me to do it. I can try if needed, but it won't be a good translation.

Jimmy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get the message:

Le document que vous avez demandé n'est pas accessible.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually,

This is great article about it. If anyone is interested in:

http://photography.about.com/library.../aa070802a.htm

Sharpness, transportability, and translucency were the three advantages of Le Gray's method. He actually published the instruction of his process after obtaining a patent in 1854 which name I cannot find yet.

I actually happened to have a book on him from Getty. This is a problem when you buy books left to right...

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin