Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,809   Online: 755

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Anyone use old photographic paper for cyanotypes?

I have a large store of Agfa Portviga and Brovira papers that I inherited when I purchases my enlarger. Can I use the paper as a base for Cyanotypes?

I would obviously fully fix it first but wanted to know if anyone has tried this and if so how do they take the coating?

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're sure it's fogged, it might be worth trying. Our lab used to use RC for a process to test for gunshot residue particles on clothing around bullet holes. This involved fixing the paper, then applying a chemical mix that reacts with nitrates in the presence of acid. The paper took that really well and ones that were done 10 years ago are still around.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've heard of people doing this, but I have not personaly done it - yet. I have a box of old paper that I know is partialy fogged and was planning on fixing out 3 or 4 sheets to try with cyanotype. I probably won't get around to this anytime soon though... I would be curious to see the difference between RC and Fiber paper as far as coating goes...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried some recently and didn't get much of a result. It was one of the old Agfa papers your mention, a glossy surface one. That was the problem... coating was very wishy washy and I got streaks everywhere. I had fixed it. I think I was using a foam brush, maybe a proper one might work better. I did try a piece using it as POP, which sort of worked! Exposed for 1hr in sunlight, would need to scan to show what happened, too hard to describe!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by philldresser
    I have a large store of Agfa Portviga and Brovira papers that I inherited when I purchases my enlarger. Can I use the paper as a base for Cyanotypes?

I would obviously fully fix it first but wanted to know if anyone has tried this and if so how do they take the coating?

Phill
    Hi Phil,

I have a friend here locally that uses the back of fixed FB paper for palladium printing so I imagine the same can be done for cyanotypes. I'm not sure which paper he uses but I think it is some kind of Kodak paper.

Don
    Don Bryant

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For sure you can I did some and it work quite well. For sure you should fix and whas the paper beofre applying the cyantoype solution. You should add a good bucnh of Tween 20 and make a double coat and you 'll get nice sharp cyanotype.
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've tried it without much success, although I didn't add tween as Christian has said. The problem I had was the paper absorbed the sensitizer like a sponge and this resulted in a patchy image. I think if I were to try this again (unlikely) I would harden the gelatine more than the hardening fixer did, with formaldehyde. I would experiment with soaking the paper in sensitizer rather than brushing it on. I probably wouldn't bother for two reasons, one being that I like the different watercolour papers available for cyanotyping and two, I'd like to use my out of date and probably fogged paper for oil printing. When I get time!
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Brewer
    I've tried it without much success, although I didn't add tween as Christian has said. The problem I had was the paper absorbed the sensitizer like a sponge and this resulted in a patchy image. I think if I were to try this again (unlikely) I would harden the gelatine more than the hardening fixer did, with formaldehyde. I would experiment with soaking the paper in sensitizer rather than brushing it on. I probably wouldn't bother for two reasons, one being that I like the different watercolour papers available for cyanotyping and two, I'd like to use my out of date and probably fogged paper for oil printing. When I get time!
    John,

I'm confused. Are you talking about coating the emulsion side or the paper back?
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    John,

I'm confused. Are you talking about coating the emulsion side or the paper back?
    The emulsion side of fibre based paper.
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Brewer
    The emulsion side of fibre based paper.
    I think we are talking about the fiber side, at least that is what I meant.

Dye transfer paper is reported to work very well for platinum too, if you can get it.
    Don Bryant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin