Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,583   Posts: 1,545,783   Online: 1033

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Mylar alternative

I have been trying to get hold of Mylar sheeting in the UK,for protecting negative from paper when printing out Ziatypes. After extensive enquiries, it seems that Mylar is no longer being made. Any ideas on alternatives?
    Many thanks
    John Fontana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Fontana
    I have been trying to get hold of Mylar sheeting in the UK,for protecting negative from paper when printing out Ziatypes. After extensive enquiries, it seems that Mylar is no longer being made. Any ideas on alternatives?
    Many thanks
    John Fontana
    John,

Mylar is just the brand name of a particular type of polyester plastic film and many companies offer alternatives under their own names. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mylar

I'm sure you've tried Secol who are probably the widest known source in the UK. http://www.secol.co.uk/
    When I lived in London I bought Secol sleeves through Process Supplies in Mount Pleasant or Silverprint. If sheets are hard to obtain it's easy enough to trim sleeves down into two sheets.

I think those types of products are a lot cheaper in the US and may help to offset some of the shipping costs if you order from Light Impressions http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.co...:163000:163100 or University Products http://www.universityproducts.com

Keith.
    Keith Taylor
    Platinum, Photogravure and Historic Process Editions
    Website | Weblog | Google+ | Facebook
    2011 Minnesota Center for Book Arts/Jerome Foundation Mentorship Program recipient

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have a look at Stencil Warehouse.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, Keith and Roy. Contacted Secol who are providing two sheet sleeves that can be guillotined into two separate sheets. Better still they are 50 micron thickness and very clear (I am told). Unfortunately not cheap at just over £50 inc VAT & delivery for what will produce 200 sheets. On reflection, I suppose that's only 25p a sheet.
    Thanks again

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Fontana
    Many thanks
    John Fontana
    I don't understand why you are protecting the neg from the paper. The mylar is for a barrier between the paper and the back to prevent humidty loss, and which is usually not needed. The neg should be in direct contact with the paper after the paper has been allowed to dry a little. It will not harm the neg if done right. After coating the paper it will feel cool and maybe even slightly moist to the touch. The more it dries the less cool it will feel. When it is slightly cool, which should not feel moist to the touch is when to contact the print. If you need a backing I can supply you some barrier thru the mail
    or you can go to a arts supply store, in the paper dept, and get some plastic. It's usually very very cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    ...It will not harm the neg if done right....
    This is indeed true! but, my own experience with this process is that you might find out what "done right" is AFTER you have ruined a negative. I suppose after ruining one image you find out the limit of what is a safe amount of 'dampness' and what is wet/dry... but I think sometimes it is better to be safe than sorry! For the type of paper I use, cranes platinotype, I saw no difference in sharpness when using a sheet of mylar compared to not using a sheet..
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin