Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,800   Online: 1120

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    About a year ago, I paid $40 for 100g of reagent grade silver nitrate. Now, the same supplier (Hi-Valley Chemical) is charging $53.82. Not a huge increase, despite the near doubling of the commodity price for silver. Quantity makes a difference here. Small quantities (like 10g) always have a higher price - mostly due to the cost of packaging and documentation.

As to the original question: I've seen potassium bromide recommended as the salt for salt prints. (I think it was in "Keepers of the Light", but I'm not sure.). From what I remember, the speed (as a printing-out paper) may not be that much different, but the image tone will be a bit different. This may be an interesting control, since you could mix the chloride and bromide salts.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I see no reason the bromide or the mix of chloride and bromide won't work. I hope you will be posting some results soon.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used KBr as the salt. It works in that it produces an image. I have not experimented enough to tell if I like it. It is faster than sodium chloride and produces a more black than brown image.
    juan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin