Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,563   Posts: 1,545,303   Online: 776

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

First go at Gum Bi(di)chromate over pt/pd - alone...

Technically not my "first" go at this... but my first go at it here in my actual darkroom (AKA apartment)

A few weeks back, myself and Jeremy Moore visited Clay Harmon in Houston to get a one day (and night) crash course in the basics of 'Gum bichromate over pt/pd' printing.

I gathered all the various chemicals, materials, etc over the last few weeks whenever I could spare the $$$ (suprisingly not that expensive all in all) and finally got everything I needed last week. so...
    Over the last week Ive made my first three gum bichromate over platinum/palladium prints.

I didn't have anyone to share them with in the immediate vicinity so I thought Id share them with my fellow APUGers.

Here is the original straight pt/pd print of the first one.
    http://www.matthewmagruder.com/photo...ousel_ptpd.jpg

the Gum Over print:
    http://www.matthewmagruder.com/photo...el_GUMptpd.jpg
    I did two layers on this one.
    1st layer: 0.4g of Burnt Umber, 0.3g of Burnt Sienna, 10ml Gum, 10ml of Ammo. Dichromate
    75% UV Exposure
    2nd layer: 0.2g Van Dyck Brown, 0.2 Indigo Blue Hue, 0.2g of Burnt Sienna 10ml Gum, 5ml Ammo. Dichrom.
    25% UV Exposure

Straight pt/pd print:
    http://www.matthewmagruder.com/photo...ddeer_ptpd.jpg

Gum Over print:
    http://www.matthewmagruder.com/photo...er_GUMptpd.jpg
    1st layer: 0.4g of Nap Yellow, 0.2g of Burnt Umber, 10ml Gum, 10ml of Ammo. Dichromate
    70% UV Exposure
    2nd layer: 0.4g Burnt Sienna, 0.2g Burnt Umber, 10ml Gum, 8ml Ammo. Dichrom.
    50% UV Exposure

Straight pt/pd print:
    http://www.matthewmagruder.com/photo...bldg2_ptpd.jpg

Gum Over print:
    http://www.matthewmagruder.com/photo...g2_GUMptpd.jpg
    1st layer: 0.4g of Nap Yellow, 0.2g of Burnt Umber, 10ml Gum, 10ml of Ammo. Dichromate
    125% UV Exposure
    2nd layer: 0.3g Burnt Sienna, 0.1g Az. Crimson, 0.3g of Perylene Maroon 10ml Gum, 8ml Ammo. Dichrom.
    30% UV Exposure

You can also see the prints compared next to each other here....
    just scroll down the window.
    http://www.matthewmagruder.com/photo...gum_over_ptpd/

Id love any input, critiques, comments, thoughts from anyone. Especially the few whove been doing this sort of printing.

I want to publically and profusely thank Clay for all the help hes been in answering the plethora (yes I said a plethora El Guapo) of questions Ive flooded him with. Not to mention to thank him yet again, for having us down there and opening up his home and darkroom to a couple of struggling youngins

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    these look great, Matt! really lights a fire under my butt... i'm still just lacking a quick trip to Lowe's to get the foam rollers, but time has been at a premium when I haven't been at work.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Very Nice Matt,

I'm looking forward to learning this process as well. The work continues to grow.

best,

monty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice Matt. Kerik's comment about how you'll "never look at a platinum print again and think it is finished" after doing gumover makes a lot of sense. So much more depth and detail. The school room print sings in comparison to the straight print. I never noticed the lines in the blackboard and the bookshelf in your previous print. Same with the graffiti interior... Nice work.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt, as I told you in an earlier PM, these just blow me away. While gum over may not be appropriate for every print, it sure was for these. Now how/why did you pick these particular prints? Is there something that helps you decide which ones will work over another.

As has been mentioned above, the school shot is the one that really grabbed me....it goes from really nice to WOW!!!
    Mike C

Rambles

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Monty you off now until next season?

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    While gum over may not be appropriate for every print, it sure was for these. Now how/why did you pick these particular prints?

As has been mentioned above, the school shot is the one that really grabbed me....it goes from really nice to WOW!!!
    I've made hundreds of gumovers and I've found very few pt/pd prints that are not made better in some way by the addition of one or more layers of gum. The effect can be subtle or dramatic, but almost always better than the straight pt/pd print by itself.

Good job, Matt!
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt these are really good! The only one that I like better w/o the gum is the abandoned warehouse one, but thats probably only b/c of the color. I like the darkness of the non gum one. Perhaps a gum of a darker shade or cooler tone would be good to try with it. In any case, excellent job!
    RL Foley

Images
    looks like your trip was time well spent.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    I've made hundreds of gumovers and I've found very few pt/pd prints that are not made better in some way by the addition of one or more layers of gum. The effect can be subtle or dramatic, but almost always better than the straight pt/pd print by itself.

Good job, Matt!
    Thanks Kerik, that is good info...knew that I liked alot of yours when you started the gumovers, but thought that maybe there was something inherent to a negative. Now I know wonder what a gumover Ziatype would look like...it is after all a pld print.......hmmmmmmmm!! Something else to learn.
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin