Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,410   Online: 962

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Pinkish hue on Platinotype White

Hello again,

Does anybody know a way to tweak the pinkish hue of the image on Platinotype White paper to something like warm brown? I'm doing pure palladium with PO. The pinkish image looks wierd to me and certainly doesn't agree with my cream matboard. I tried tea-staining but that didn't help. Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems like warming the PO will also warm up the print...might give that a try.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Seems like warming the PO will also warm up the print...might give that a try.
    Thanks Photomc. Actually I dread warming up the PO. The fume gets stronger and my darkroom isn't ventilated. ...OK maybe I'll do so with a face mask. Appreciate it!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Have you considered getting a cheap inexpensive microwave dedicated to darkroom work? I found one recently used for $25 and it works great. You can put your Pot. Ox in a big pyrex and just zap it in the microwave so the fumes would be at least limited somewhat and plus its alot faster than putting the developer on a hotplate to warm it.

to be honest I have never seen a pinkish hue from a pt/pd on cranes, and Ive done a fair amount of them. you are using distilled water in your developer right?
    makes me wonder if something in your water could be adding to the pinkish stain. not sure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've seen that pinkish hue on the bright white platinotype. I cured it by not using that paper anymore. I'm not fond of any of the versions of 'platinotype', but the bright white is just gross, IMO.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eggshell
    Hello again,

Does anybody know a way to tweak the pinkish hue of the image on Platinotype White paper to something like warm brown? I'm doing pure palladium with PO. The pinkish image looks wierd to me and certainly doesn't agree with my cream matboard. I tried tea-staining but that didn't help. Thanks again.
    Your pinkish color, is just in the image area and not the paper? What are the other active chems FO or AFO, your clearing baths? printing RH? type of PD?

Eric

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Scooterman, Yes my PO is mixed using distilled water but I doubt that is the cause. I've used other papers without the pink hue. I also use a microwave to zap the PO as you suggested. Can't escape the fume!

EricNeilson, Yes, Pinkish hue is just in image area. My FO is bought from B&S and I added 0.5gm EDTA and 1.2gm OA to it as suggested by Kerik in earlier posts. Cleared with citric acid followed by sulfite/edta. RH is around 72%, room temp around 86deg f developed out process.

Thanks to all.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eggshell
    Scooterman, Yes my PO is mixed using distilled water but I doubt that is the cause. I've used other papers without the pink hue. I also use a microwave to zap the PO as you suggested. Can't escape the fume!

EricNeilson, Yes, Pinkish hue is just in image area. My FO is bought from B&S and I added 0.5gm EDTA and 1.2gm OA to it as suggested by Kerik in earlier posts. Cleared with citric acid followed by sulfite/edta. RH is around 72%, room temp around 86deg f developed out process.

Thanks to all.
    Eggshell, First I would try printing at a lower Rh; around 45%. I'd also consider using ammonium based palladium in place of some of the sodium based ( if that is what you are using). DMK has used the PO near boiling, I've only gotten it up to 150F or so. If the smell is too much, keep it covered until use, an dthen pour it back into the holding vessel.

Eric

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    EricNeilson, I did a print at 130 deg f and no, it didn't help much, if at all. A de-humidifier is no good for the pocket at this point in time. (Sigh...) I think the cheapest solution is to avoid this paper altogether as Kerik did. Anyway, thanks very much for helping out again.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Eggshell, A hairdryer is a cheap de humidifier. : ) , but sometimes it is better to move on rather than to keep fighting a losing battle.

Eric Neilsen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin