Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,948   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

Stupid Sodium Chloride question.

Hello Everyone,

I have a stupid little question about soium Chloride, I would like to prepare by myself my palladium solution and one chemical is Sodium Chloride, yesterday I found my old chemical book and I looked out this chemical. With my surprise it is the salt to cook.
    When you mix palladium solution, which salt do you use?
    A sodium Chloride that you could buy in a chemicals store or you do in your kitchen?

Excuse me for my stupid question, but I'm thinking to mix with my salt the palladium........

Best

Stefano
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Don't use kitchen salt because it contains much more things than sodium chloride, you have better time to use some pure one from a chemical or drug store.
    It's really cheap but you don't want to spoil your Palladium solution, isn't it ?

I have use pickling salt - though it is not pure.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Stick to buying it from the chemical suppliers, it's purer. Off the top of my head, I don't recall what else the kitchen salt has in it after it is iodized, but you used to see table salt shown with the word iodized on the outside of the container. I'd have to dig in my chem books (which I'd have to dig out after I decluttered recently).
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    They put gorp (aluminum and ferrous salts) in there for flow control and clumping. Don't skimp for palladium.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Morton's Kosher Salt. It works fine.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clay
    I use Morton's Kosher Salt. It works fine.
    So glad you posted this Clay, seems like in the last few months Jorge had posted he used pickling salt .... maybe even Mortons, and I figure his stuff looked good enough.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Kosher salt does not have the iodine added, but it still may have some anit-caking compunds. Regardless, it's what I use, and have never had any trouble with it. That is, when I'm using sodium chloride, which isn't too often these days.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I often use white Hawai'ian sea salt for albumen printing. Sea salts contain other minerals that give them their distinctive flavors, and they can affect the tone in subtle ways. On the one hand, they are not an absolutely consistent material like reagent grade NaCl, but non-uniformity can be interesting.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky
    Kosher salt does not have the iodine added, but it still may have some anit-caking compunds. Regardless, it's what I use, and have never had any trouble with it. That is, when I'm using sodium chloride, which isn't too often these days.

---Michael
    OK Michael, I'll bite...what are you using in place of NaCl? Reason I ask is just mixed a batch of PdCl using LiCl, so just curious what others are using.
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin