Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,749   Posts: 1,483,787   Online: 865

Thread: PL100 and Xtol

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

PL100 and Xtol

Dumb question of the day: I developed some 8x10 PL100 in Xtol1:1 and even going up to 15 minutes in a tray at 73 degrees I am no where near where I need to be as far as density on the negatives. Xtol was freshly made. This is for platinum printing. I used ASA 100. Should I have reduced the ASA? I've done it with Trix and this combo with no problem and used ASA 300. I ended up using this because I wasn't sure my Pyrocat was good
    Besides with the Na2 method my densitometer won't read pyro negs and this method goes by the numbers. I'm stumped...
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter, I've got four ideas. First, do you know the real world film speed of PL100? I don't, and sometimes it could be significantly less than the advertised speed. Second, is it possible that you set something incorrectly? I know that I've done it, especially if I had to really hurry to get the exposure. Third, it's possible that there some technical problem with the the shutter or aperture. Fourth, you could have experienced Xtol failure. If so, the image should be very faint.

You might try taking an exposure in a controlled setting, and developing again. Maybe do two sheets, one at 100 and one at EI 25. You could also test the Xtol if you've got a film/exposure/development combo that gives good results. (This would be to check if the Xtol is bad.)

I hope that you figure out what's up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never used Xtol, but with Pyrocat HD, I rate PL100 at 50 for a normal contrast scene.

I don't know if a 1-stop underexposure is what you are seeing or if it's something else.
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Xtol

Thanks guys. This is my first time with PL100 in 8x10 but I have used it with Pyrocat at about ASA 80. No problem there. My belief is that it is the real speed issue here. Xtol is the one developer that can always carry off box speed but I'm
    suspicious now. All the other factors such as settings; shutter and aperture are fine. The shutter is a brand new copal 1 in a 240 Germinar. I always recheck my meter. The Xtol was just out of the package. It's got to be the ASA setting. Going out to test this out right now!!
    Thanks, Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

More....

I forgot to add that the negatives were nowhere being thin. I'm just suprised because PL100 is known to build density quite well. Ok Peter think ASA; ASA;ASA
    Best, Peter

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    PL 100 should deliver ISO 100 in most developers, somewhat more in classic "acutance" developers like Beutler's and FX-2. Either of those two would be my first choise for this film. If I were to need even more contrast (for POP or salt prints?), I would bleach and redevelop in plain pyro/soda (1 liter water, 2 teaspoons pyro, 2 teaspoons sodium hydroxide).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin