Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,423   Online: 939

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Ambrotype on dry plate?

Can Ambrotypes be done on dry plate glass? or do they have to be done with wet-plate collodion?

Shooter
    Large Format
    You could produce a dryplate ambrotype using collodion, with coffee or tannin as a preservative, and developing it in pyro. Works fine, but really slow.

Wondering about those plateholders?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    slower than normal?

Wayne

Shooter
    Large Format
    slower than normal?
    yes, about two stops...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was up to visit Rob Gibson's studio in Gettysburg over the weekend, and was looking at how neat the ambrotypes are. I've got some 5x7 dry plate holders I'd be interested in learning with, and I just don't want to go through the hassle of getting another entirely new camera, with all the attendant wet plate gear.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    that speed loss could be a real killer. What is the practical speed of a wet plate- 1? 1/2? Just wild guesses, but I'm sure someone here knows.

Wayne

Shooter
    Large Format
    I generally shoot my portraits at 1 second at f/4, on a good day the meter says 12.66ev on skin. So, maybe .25 ISO?

jason

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    I was up to visit Rob Gibson's studio in Gettysburg over the weekend,
    Where else did you guys go?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Motamedi
    I generally shoot my portraits at 1 second at f/4, on a good day the meter says 12.66ev on skin. So, maybe .25 ISO?

jason
    Well heck, then you're only looking at a few seconds or so for dry plate portraits. Thats doable, and thats what I'd like to try someday.

Wayne

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    For whatever it's worth, the ambrotype effect (scattering from the silver image showing as positive against an absorptive black background) is perfectly operant with gelatin emulsions; I know of no reason you couldn't make ambrotypes with dry gelatin plates (some purists may claim the gelatin emulsion won't look just like the collodon, and they might be right, but developing with collodion chemistry would be a good start).

From what I hear, though, don't trust the Rockland Colloid "tintype" developer; it's bad about as often as it's good, and their (gelatin) tintype emulsion (which would also work for ambrotype) is too expensive to waste that frequently...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin