Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,748   Online: 775

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Toning palladium prints

I have just produced my first palladium print of an image previously printed on silver. That image was toned in sepia and then gold to produce brown and orange tones that were esp attractive in the highlights.
    What toning agents, if any, could be used to produce a similar effect on the palladium print, produced on Arches Platine paper. The paper was washed in water after UV exposure, rinsed in Citic Acid and then washed in water again.Would toning be applied after these stages??
    John Fontana

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can tone pt/pd prints. If you are aiming for that "warm" look, print on a warm base paper, like the Arches Platine. Print in Palladium, to enhance the warm look. You can gold tone or selenium tone. I have tried selenium, and it works well to give you the deep black dmax. However, it seems that Pt/Pd prints exhaust the selenium rather quickly. You tone the print like you would tone a regular silver print, after final wash.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the reply.
    What about thiocarbamide toning. Has anyone experience of toning palladium prints with this toner.
    The books talk of a combination of gold and ammonium thiocyanate for orangy tones. Have people tried this with palladium prints. I am using Arches Platine paper.
    Thanks again
    John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin