Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,395   Online: 882

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

IR film and 4x5 film holders

Has anyone heard of the urban legend that states that not all 4x5 plastic (lisco, fidelity) film holders are safe for IR film ?

I remember reading something about it back when I was reading threads on Buffaloe's forum, saying that the ones that have three dots on the dark slide are unsafe and the ones that have five are safe, or the other way around...

I still have to find something creative to do with the 100 sheets of HIE I still have in the freezer... (don't ask me to give them to you, that's not creative !)

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou
    Has anyone heard of the urban legend that states that not all 4x5 plastic (lisco, fidelity) film holders are safe for IR film ?

I remember reading something about it back when I was reading threads on Buffaloe's forum, saying that the ones that have three dots on the dark slide are unsafe and the ones that have five are safe, or the other way around...

I still have to find something creative to do with the 100 sheets of HIE I still have in the freezer... (don't ask me to give them to you, that's not creative !)
    That's not an urban legend. 5 dots are safe.

You might try exposing the film in your camera. How is that for a creative idea?
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Knowing the legend, I would say, that if the holder is light tight, then it is safe for infrared film. I wouldn't think there would be any significant difference from normal film. After all, large format loading procedures are all done in the dark, so why would there be a problem? (Just watch, famous last words...)

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." --John Milton

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter." --Unknown missionary

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracotype
    Knowing the legend, I would say, that if the holder is light tight, then it is safe for infrared film. I wouldn't think there would be any significant difference from normal film. After all, large format loading procedures are all done in the dark, so why would there be a problem? (Just watch, famous last words...)

Drew
    This is no myth, not all holders are IR proof.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Have you tried pointing an IR remote at a holder positioned between you and a tv set and then trying to say change channels? I know that probably sounds corny, but it might be worth a try. If it changes the channels, then it's not IR proof.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    35mm
    HIE works really nicely in a Leica M3.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    Have you tried pointing an IR remote at a holder positioned between you and a tv set and then trying to say change channels? I know that probably sounds corny, but it might be worth a try. If it changes the channels, then it's not IR proof.
    Film should be much more sensitive than an IR remote control receiver. As I recall, dark slides with five raised dots block IR. However, I couldn't verify this in a couple editions of Graphic Graflex Photography. Also, safe darkslides may be installed in unsafe film holders. Even though IR film is loaded in a darkroom, the holder is subsequently handled where there is enough IR for photography. I wouldn't trust many focusing cloths to block IR, either.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    This is no myth, not all holders are IR proof.
    I might also point out that not all bellows are IR proof. Because of that I had a special IR proof bellows made for my Wisner 4x5 traditional which can with a leather bellows.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    I might also point out that not all bellows are IR proof. Because of that I had a special IR proof bellows made for my Wisner 4x5 traditional which can with a leather bellows.
    WOW !! so, maybe my Linhof's bellows might be unsafe ??? I don't think I can get linhof to manufacture a new, IR-lightsafe bellows for me !! How about the Horseman ? I've got two accordion-bellows (a long and a short) and a bag WA one. Will one of them be safe ? Although I don't really wish to have to carry the monorail around to make IR pictures, I might use it for portraits or nudes with my flashes (I'll put a deep red gelatin on the flash and see what it'll give with IR film)...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    HIE works really nicely in a Leica M3.
    Claire, I think you're getting a bit paranoid with my Leica M3 issue. You'll end up by annoying me and I might do something stupid like selling it (or giving it to you :-)

After all, what's the point in making post-stamp size IR negs ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin