Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,107   Online: 854

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

UV light sources for pt/pd, would these work?

how about an array of these?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics...n-57264165.htm

assuming these would work? Or am I better buying a specific type of tube setup. It's hard to find much of anything locally to build an exposure unit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I can't say if those would work, but I have built a similar unit to this using these bulbs. It was very easy and works very well. I realize shipping will be an issue for you, but perhaps there is somewhere in NZ that will handle the F20T12-BL bulbs. I was able to find them locally at a lighting shop fo 9.50US each.

Previously to building the box, I simply used 4 of these bulbs side by side in 2 separate fluorescent fixtures. I hung them so they were about 8 inches from the table surface with both plugged into a graylab timer. It worked great and only cost about 60 dollars.

Good luck Sean!

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Sean,

Not sure about the bulbs mentioned - interesting that they say ES only and then show a picture of a BC unit. What size unit are you thinking of building? Jaycar have the 40W 1225mm UV-BL tubes if they would suit but they're somewhat expensive when you need an array of them. A good electrical wholesaler should be able to point you to an alternative retail outlet for some smaller 20W versions.

Roger.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics...n-57264165.htm

assuming these would work? Or am I better buying a specific type of tube setup. It's hard to find much of anything locally to build an exposure unit.
    Hi Sean,

Based on my testing of this type of UV tube (i.e. sprial UV BLB tubes) an array of 20 watt tubes should provide enough UV radiation to print with UV sensitive processes.

For best resuls place the bulbs as close together as possible, and plan for a bulb to printing frame distance of no more than about four inches..

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Hi Sean,

Based on my testing of this type of UV tube (i.e. sprial UV BLB tubes) an array of 20 watt tubes should provide enough UV radiation to print with UV sensitive processes.

For best resuls place the bulbs as close together as possible, and plan for a bulb to printing frame distance of no more than about four inches..

Sandy
    That sounds promising since they are pretty cheap, if I am printing 8x10 should my array be 11x14 to be safe? Thanks

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sean, I've been exposing cyanotype, VDB, and salt prints using the 13 W version of those bulbs, a single lamp in a reflector, with excellent results. I get exposure times only about twice what I'd need in sunshine, with the lamp about 20-25 cm from the printing frame (though with a single lamp, you'd need more distance for a larger print, the higher wattage lamp will help keep your printing times down). BTW, I've heard there are also 27 W versions of these bulbs available, which ought to give still shorter times.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That sounds promising since they are pretty cheap, if I am printing 8x10 should my array be 11x14 to be safe? Thanks
    Yes, I believe a 11X14" light box should give you plenty of even light for printing 8X10. If you can find the 27 watt tubes that Donald mentions use them as they will give you almost 1/3 more radiation.

Sandy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin